Watercooling?

what is watercooling? im new so i dont know wht it is?
22 answers Last reply
More about watercooling
  1. Watercooling sticky below in my signature.

Welcome to the forum.
  2. Water cooling is a cooling system which can cool your cpu, gpu, northbridge and southbridge (most people only cool cpu and gpu) using water. It works by pumping water from a resovior through the pump, into the waterblock (the watercooling equivlent of a heatsink) on the processor (and other cooled parts) then through a radiator then back into the resovior.

They are much better at cooling than a air cooled system as water conducts heat better than air.
  3. ross_mitchell said:
    Water cooling is a cooling system which can cool your cpu, gpu, northbridge and southbridge (most people only cool cpu and gpu) using water. It works by pumping water from a resovior through the pump, into the waterblock (the watercooling equivlent of a heatsink) on the processor (and other cooled parts) then through a radiator then back into the resovior.

They are much better at cooling than a air cooled system as water conducts heat better than air.

watercooling is important?
  4. hhhjaam said:
    watercooling is important?

Yes. No. Maybe.

Depends on what you're doing. If you want to overclock, then it can be, although with newer CPUs (SB) you can OC will on air-cooling. However, not everyone likes the idea of 1kg of heatsink hanging off of their CPU. Then again, not everyone likes the idea of water inside their PC!

It's also a hobby-within-a-hobby, as some people like the challenge of building a water-cooling system for their rigs. Heck, I imagine there are some folk who get the PC purely to water-cool it!

If you're thinking about it, bear in mind it's rather pricey. I put up a proposed build recently for my own system that came to about £600 for water-cooling the CPU and 2xGPUs. Going to take me half a year to save up for!
  5. diellur said:
    Yes. No. Maybe.

Depends on what you're doing. If you want to overclock, then it can be, although with newer CPUs (SB) you can OC will on air-cooling. However, not everyone likes the idea of 1kg of heatsink hanging off of their CPU. Then again, not everyone likes the idea of water inside their PC!

It's also a hobby-within-a-hobby, as some people like the challenge of building a water-cooling system for their rigs. Heck, I imagine there are some folk who get the PC purely to water-cool it!

If you're thinking about it, bear in mind it's rather pricey. I put up a proposed build recently for my own system that came to about £600 for water-cooling the CPU and 2xGPUs. Going to take me half a year to save up for!

i guess no then...... lol :D
  6. It depends. ;) There are real benefits in terms of component life as you can run them harder at cooler temps. Whether or not the outlay in water-cooling kit balances this is doubtful, but it's also fun. :)
  7. If it's an avenue you're wanting to go down but are put off by the cost, check out the Corsair range of closed-loop water-cooling solutions (H50, H70, H80, H100). They're pricier than high-end air-cooling, but don't have the weight penalty and generally perform at least as well.

[off-topic]
    Any mods able to tell me why when I go to edit a message I've posted, it tells me that I can't? Happened several times now.
    [/off-topic]
  8. Quote:
    Heck, I imagine there are some folk who get the PC purely to water-cool it!

That would be me...although I do like playing around with overclocking now and again.

Quote:
    [off-topic]
    Any mods able to tell me why when I go to edit a message I've posted, it tells me that I can't? Happened several times now.
    [/off-topic]

That's really odd...you should be able to edit any posts that you have made. You might send a PM to 4ryan6 about it; maybe there is an issue with your acct.
  9. rubix_1011 said:
    That's really odd...you should be able to edit any posts that you have made. You might send a PM to 4ryan6 about it; maybe there is an issue with your acct.

Will do, thanks. :)
  10. diellur said:
    If it's an avenue you're wanting to go down but are put off by the cost, check out the Corsair range of closed-loop water-cooling solutions (H50, H70, H80, H100). They're pricier than high-end air-cooling, but don't have the weight penalty and generally perform at least as well.

[off-topic]
    [/off-topic]

which are some cheap water cooling system?
    name some of them?
  11. It would depend very much on your definition of cheap!

The H60 is priced at about £55, which is cheaper than some air coolers. The H100, at the other end of the range, is about £85. The Corsair kits are easy to install and once they're in, you forget about them.

Beyond this, you have all-in-one kits which are effectively custom loops pre-packaged with all the components you need to get you started. If you choose, you can then upgrade this loop as you like. They start around the £120 mark...the Scan website (UK) stocks the EK kits, which is a known water-cooling brand. However, whilst these are kits, they also require maintenance like a custom loop would...other more knowledgeable people than me can answer the obvious next question of 'What maintenance?' :)

Performance at those prices may or may not exceed that of air cooling, and there are pros and cons for both options.
  12. Well, first off- let's define cheap. Not sure where you are located, so prices I'm listing are in US dollars.

You can pick up a closed loop cooler like Corsair or Asetek, etc for $65-$110 US. Better value would be the XSPC Rasa kits that start around $130 US which performs better for a little more than the Corsair H100. Past that, you are looking at between $130-$180 US for the XSPC Rasa kits, but you could build a CPU loop for $150-$200 if you wanted. For a larger loop including video cards, etc, you add more cost for each component and additional radiators when needed.

(^diellur posted as I was)
    It all depends on your budget and plan.
  13. its around 200 mate
  14. diellur said:
    It would depend very much on your definition of cheap!

The H60 is priced at about £55, which is cheaper than some air coolers. The H100, at the other end of the range, is about £85. The Corsair kits are easy to install and once they're in, you forget about them.

Beyond this, you have all-in-one kits which are effectively custom loops pre-packaged with all the components you need to get you started. If you choose, you can then upgrade this loop as you like. They start around the £120 mark...the Scan website (UK) stocks the EK kits, which is a known water-cooling brand. However, whilst these are kits, they also require maintenance like a custom loop would...other more knowledgeable people than me can answer the obvious next question of 'What maintenance?' :)

Performance at those prices may or may not exceed that of air cooling, and there are pros and cons for both options.

best cooling arund 200$$?
  15. hhhjaam said:
    its around 200 mate

This truly depends- you could build a CPU only loop for less, but it depends on components you wanted to use.
  16. rubix_1011 said:
    This truly depends- you could build a CPU only loop for less, but it depends on components you wanted to use.

the components im going to use are

2500k i5 or core i7 2600 k
    asus z68
    msi gtx - 560 ti twin frozr II
    cooler master glite 430 blac or coller master chasis cm 690
  17. I meant blocks/pump/rads/res etc in the water loop.
  18. rubix_1011 said:
    I meant blocks/pump/rads/res etc in the water loop.

know nothing about that sorry mate bt i love to know wht are pupm blocks and rads and how to check them?
  19. go through the stickies at the forum page also given in rubix's ps.. there a lot of info given there.. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-watercooling-info-faqs-links-stickies
  20. strongdc said:
    go through the stickies at the forum page also given in rubix's ps.. there a lot of info given there.. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-watercooling-info-faqs-links-stickies

thnx mate its usefullllllllll :)

btw 1600 mhz rams work with asus z68?
  21. Base clocks on Sandy Bridge CPUs are.. 1333 Mhz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as voltages are under 1.5v than you can use most types of ram in your system. I currently run an 8GB Corsair Vengeance at 1600 Mhz.

Note: Sometimes your motherboards wants to downclock your ram to 1333 if you have 1600 supported Ram, you can easily fix it in the BIOS.
  22. SushiDragon said:
    Base clocks on Sandy Bridge CPUs are.. 1333 Mhz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as voltages are under 1.5v than you can use most types of ram in your system. I currently run an 8GB Corsair Vengeance at 1600 Mhz.

Note: Sometimes your motherboards wants to downclock your ram to 1333 if you have 1600 supported Ram, you can easily fix it in the BIOS.

thnx for the info mate
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Overclocking