xxgtasaxx

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I'm building a new desktop and the MoBo I'm using is Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 what RAM works best with it and a Phenom II x4 925 processor, also I'm going to run Windows 7 32-bit so should I fill all the RAM slots with 4 x 1GB sticks or would a dual channel setup be better, I know I'm a noob.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
DDR3 is what you need for that mobo. Why do you need 32-bit Windows? Do you have exotic hardware or old programs?

4x1GB will run in dual channel mode, with 2 RAM modules per channel. 2x2GB will also run in dual-channel mode, with 1 RAM module per channel. 1 channel is one pair of same-colored RAM sockets. So if you have four RAM sockets labeled red, blue, red, blue, then putting two 2 GB modules in the red sockets will run them in dual channel mode. In my opinion, you should go for 2 GB modules instead of 1 GB ones. That way, you can have a larger RAM pool if you fill up all slots.

I suggest you get 2x2GB and get Windows 64-bit. If you already have a license key and the 32-bit installer, you can simply download a 64-bit original Windows 7 ISO and use your key. That should work fine.

xxgtasaxx

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
$1500, gaming, and I was told that there is hardly anything compatible with 64-bit OS including new games but that must not be true, but no I don't have any old programs that I want to run I knew it was ddr3 memory so I might just go with 2x4GB, but who is the most reliable OCZ, PATRIOT, CORSAIR, my last computer used KINGSTON and it was pretty good, but the others I listed are better, yes? Thanks for the welcome.

Well, you can see here the power requirements for your 5870.

"...500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)..."

And you can see here all the X-Fire certified PSU.