Can i upgrade my single core?

hello guys i wanted to ask you 1 thing,can i upgrade my PENTIUM 4 ht with BIOS:1.10 a04 ddr2 tech to dual procesrs tech? :)
17 answers Last reply
More about upgrade single core
  1. System specs? especially, motherboard (we need to know the socket)?

    You can find this using a program called CPU-z. Google it. run the program. under the cpu tab tell us what is says beside "name", "code name" and "package". Under the mainboard tab tell us "manufacturer" and "model".

    It would be great if you could tell us other system specs or the manufacturer of the computer and model (I'm assuming it isn't your own build).
  2. If it is of socket LGA775 with fsb of 1066 and supports ddr2 667 then you might upgrade it to
    Intel Pentium D 840
    or
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2160
  3. enzo matrix said:
    System specs? especially, motherboard (we need to know the socket)?

    You can find this using a program called CPU-z. Google it. run the program. under the cpu tab tell us what is says beside "name", "code name" and "package". Under the mainboard tab tell us "manufacturer" and "model".

    It would be great if you could tell us other system specs or the manufacturer of the computer and model (I'm assuming it isn't your own build).



    well my package:socket 775 LGA
    its dell optilex GX280 3.2ghz proccesr,2gb ram,DDR2,
    code name: prescott.manufacturer: Dell
    Model: OH7276M
    its full name is intel pentium 4 540,
    and yea it isnt my own build,:D
    i look forward to your help.
  4. and can i put dual core E2220 in it?
  5. fshaharyar said:
    If it is of socket LGA775 with fsb of 1066 and supports ddr2 667 then you might upgrade it to
    Intel Pentium D 840
    or
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2160


    dosent it support any core2duo?
  6. the current tech socket is 90nm
  7. If your board uses standard DDR memory, and this board is in a Dell system, the answer to both of your questions is firm and definet.
    No, you cannot do what you are asking.
  8. jitpublisher said:
    If your board uses standard DDR memory, and this board is in a Dell system, the answer to both of your questions is firm and definet.
    No, you cannot do what you are asking.


    its uses DDR2 tech
  9. It's an older computer and the bios cannot be updated since you bought it from a company. Whichever CPUs it supported when you got it are the cpus it still supports. There's really only one way to find out if a core 2 duo or a pentium dual core would work, and that is to get one and try it. Unless someone replies to you with more insight.
  10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775
    according to this i can put anything in it?
  11. enzo matrix said:
    It's an older computer and the bios cannot be updated since you bought it from a company. Whichever CPUs it supported when you got it are the cpus it still supports. There's really only one way to find out if a core 2 duo or a pentium dual core would work, and that is to get one and try it. Unless someone replies to you with more insight.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775
    according to this i can put any proccesor in it?
    btw i just upgraded my BIOS to 1.10 A08..:D
  12. No you can't upgrade it that comp is far too old.
  13. edeawillrule said:
    No you can't upgrade it that comp is far too old.



    well,it has the LGA 775 socket...:(
  14. You really cant upgrade Dells very much, especially the older ones. In order to run a new cpu you would more than likely need a bios update, which Dell doenst really do for you. So you might be able to call up Dell in India and see if there is any upgrades you can drop in but I highly doubt it.
  15. bige420 said:
    You really cant upgrade Dells very much, especially the older ones. In order to run a new cpu you would more than likely need a bios update, which Dell doenst really do for you. So you might be able to call up Dell in India and see if there is any upgrades you can drop in but I highly doubt it.


    actulay 2morow m going to a Computer hardware shop,i wil ask them if any dual core thingy can fit in this shitty machine,.=P
    though i can play all the latest games,
    i have 9500gt 1gb VGA fitted in it.(PCI)
  16. that is the same problem that my brother had he had a board 915 intel chipset that didnot supported dual core but was LGA 775
    just dwld cpuz and look at the model no. of your board and the manufacturer then go to their web site to see cpu compatibility.
  17. fshaharyar said:
    that is the same problem that my brother had he had a board 915 intel chipset that didnot supported dual core but was LGA 775
    just dwld cpuz and look at the model no. of your board and the manufacturer then go to their web site to see cpu compatibility.


    ahaan,
    i just asked the dell community about it i hope they reply me,
    other wise do you know how much a motherboard supporting core2duo etc + PCI slot will cost me?
    if you live in Pakistan,.:D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Pentium