Sign in with
Your question

High Perfor SSD still too risky?

Last response: in Storage
July 4, 2011 5:03:00 PM

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new system build this weekend. My daily desktop is a:

Intel Q6700 @ 2.66Ghz (Socket 775 Asus P4N32-E 680i), 4 Gigs DDR2 800, NVidia GTX 260, 150 Gig 10K RPM SATA-150 boot, 1TB 7200 RPM SATA-150 data drive

and I'm looking to step up to a:

Intel i7-2600K Z68, 8 gig DDR3 1600, Nvideo GTX 580, with a 1TB 7200 SATA-III data drive.

But for the system drive on the new build, I was looking at the 240 gig OCZ Vertex 3, on one of the Intel 6 Gig SATA ports on the Asus P8Z68-V Pro MB.

System stability is a very high priority for me, and I'm reading all these firmware / BSOD / 30 second freeze problems with the OCZ part.

Would the OCZ Vertex 3 part be stable in my system? Would an Intel 510 240 Gig be more more stable (and not too much slower)? Is there a different part to consider, or should I wait for this all to play out? I would definitely trade away bleeding edge performance for stability, but I do want it to feel a lot more snappy than my old system.

Thanks for any advice!

-Jason

More about : high perfor ssd risky

a b G Storage
July 4, 2011 5:14:00 PM

In my opinion the intel 510 is a great drive. But vertex 3 can't be touched. There are some interesting bsod issues that seem to be system specific and not ocz or sandforce in general. I don't think they have nailed down the problem yet.

I would order a 240gig vert 3 and try it. If it works, great. If not, go intel (marvel controller) or m4 (marvell) or... Intel 320 for rock solid sata 2 performance.

Corsair Froce 3 (asynchronous nand) and the force 3 gt (synchronous and comparable to vertex 3) are darn good too in the sandforce 2281 world.

I'm upgrading my q6600 asap too. Once that darn house is finished!
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
July 4, 2011 6:11:17 PM

^+1...

OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS is the fastest none PCIe drive. However, if reliability is your driving force, you can't beat the reliability of Intel drives. I would recommend the Intel 510.

If you are looking for a mixture of both, it is hard to beat OCZ. They are the most active company in updating firmware to address potential issues or to address those bugs. Another contender, I have my eye on, is the Patriot Wildfire. It matches the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS pretty well in overall performance. What hasn't been seen is how often Patriot updated their firmware on problems.
m
l
!