hallock

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Just a quick question re Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H, has anyone got there PS/2 port to work because I have tried both keyboards and mouses, but non of them seem to work within the port. I'm now getting the feel that this port is just for show.

hallock

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Thanks for the advise. I have checkout the link as well. Seeing that I have a USB card installed as well I will try plugging the keyboard there to see if it work within there, because I have no luck with the on-board USBs just Freeze up in the BIOS.

bilbat

Splendid
I'll be interested to see the results... Just guessing, I would not expect an external to work in the BIOS, as it 'knows' the on-board hardware, and can query it to set itself up - for an add-on card, I would expect it to require drivers which, obviously, don't get loaded until the OS is in place; that said, stranger things have, surprisingly, worked! Can you/did you check the settings from the other post? As I said there, I have yet to see a GB BIOS that actually needed 'USB Keyboard' enabled to 'see' a USB keyboard in the BIOS, and it certainly should not affect PS2 connects - and, I well realize that, if your BIOS isn't recognizing any keyboard, you're pretty much screwed as to using the BIOS to adjust anything!

hallock

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Yea I read the posts and all the USB options are enabled. Give and take my USB keyboard work for a few seconds before it freeze up - once that happen just unplug the PC and I'm good to go again with it in the BIOS. I was able to overclock and do my tweets will my way. But still need more than a few seconds. But I will let you know if that way work when I get home. PS/2 dead dead dead!!! that all I can say for it.

bilbat

Splendid
PS2 not working is a real PITA! There are a number of 'boot-time' utilities (one that pops up often is defraggers) that, even though the BIOS can 'see' a USB, will only work with a PS2 - so, unless you have one handy (and, of course, it works!), you are pretty much 'at the mercy' of the utilities' default options...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
My MA790X-UD4P has the exact same problem. I used to use the PS2 ports for my old mouse and keyboard. One day the thing just started to shutdown and reboot itself. On a whim, I tried plugging them into the USB ports instead, and viola, no more reboots.

There is definitely a bug somewhere within these AMD-based GigaByte motherboards regarding the PS2 ports. Whether it's exclusive to GigaByte, I don't know...

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
YOu guys are relly scaring me now. I just ordered my GA-MA785GT-UD3H a few days ago and am waiting for my shipment ot arrive.

Does this mean i won't be able to use my ps2 keyboardan mouse?? :eek: :eek: :cry:

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I really don't know, Starges. I can only tell you what I've experienced and my thoughts on the matter. I own 3 GigaByte boards - GA-MA790X-UD4P, GA-MA780G-US2H, and GA-MA785G-UD3H. The problem occurred on the 790X board, after which I haven't even tried to use the PS-2 port on the others. I certainly could try using the PS-2 ports on the others, but I honestly believe that's just asking for the problem to occur.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Yeah... , that really helped alot :sarcastic:

Now i have to think about purchasing a new USB keyboard and mouse. :cry: :cry:

Thats another extra $20... Damn *$*&%# :fou: :fou:

hallock

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
well just updating you guys. I went ahead and updated to the new BIOS that said it fix keyboard compatibility on my GA-MA785G-UD3H. Sorry to say it does not help a bit and im still not able to do much in the BIOS before it freezes up. So Starges tell me if you are able to get your PS/2 port to work when you get your board.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
How long have you had it, craig? My MA790X-UD4P showed problems with PS-2 port use almost immediately.

The following is just an elaboration on my previous comments.

Previously, when I said I changed my KB and Mouse to USB "on a whim," it wasn't truly a whim. Earlier that year I had an MSI K9A2-CF F motherboard brick itself with a bugged BIOS that MSI released. The issue was the PC would constantly go into a power-up and restart cycle every 3 seconds. The cause was having a keyboard plugged in. That's right - if you had a keyboard plugged in, it would start and restart over and over forever without ever making it so far as the POST screen. With the KB unplugged, it would boot. (Unless Halt on ALL Errors in enabled in the BIOS.) This fiasco in mind, I swapped my KB and Mouse from PS-2 to USB and have been error-free since.

As for the MSI motherboard, it had to be RMA'd for a BIOS flash via EPROM at their service center. It has since only been removed once for a long-term functionality test. I ended up replacing it due to it's 95W TDP CPU limit.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
What BIOS version does it have, F5B? That's the one that's supposed to have the keyboard fix.

My MA785G-US3H indicates it has an F5 BIOS installed, and came that way when I bought it just over a month ago. I guess F5 is not the same as F5B shown here. F5 isn't even listed, and I'm not about to risk my entire machine by using a beta BIOS. I have experienced this problem at times on that machine. It usually occurs when the system restarts after editing BIOS settings and saving them. I only noticed it while overclocking the CPU in it, which had me tweaking settings in the BIOS often.

Every once in a while, I lose the keyboard while I'm gaming on my MA790X-UD4P system. If I reach behind it then unplug and plug-in the keyboard again, it's comes right back. (USB of course.) I really don't want to update it's BIOS though... I don't think the newest BIOS will allow me to unlock my Phenom II 720 BE. The F9 BIOS for it says it adds "CPU Core Control option." I don't even know what that is.