Am3 or i5 upgrade path?

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I would say AM3 would last longer since its probably going to be backwards compatible with AM3+ cpus (upcoming Bulldozer 2011-2012) which will be 4-8 cores. Socket 1156 on the other hand, I dont think they're going to release anything above 4 cores on it.

Problem with that we are continuing to see new chipsets with better features coming out all the time even though the socket stays the same (775 as an example). So when upgrading 2 to 3 years from now we will upgrade both CPU and Motherboard to get all the new features.

This is what i always say. people can tout a upgrade path or backwards compatability all they want but if you have a AM2 mobo with SATA I and a Phenom II, the HDDs will hold the performance back.

Or if you have PCIe 1 when PCIe 3 comes out the GPU will be bottlenecked a lot more if it can utilize PCIe 2/3 better.

My suggestion is to go with whatever fits your budget and keep it around 3 years doing minor upgrade to the GPU/CPU. Thats what I do. Built my system with a Q6600 in 2007 and a HD2900 Pro and now have the same CPU and a HD4870. Plan a new CPU soon but its not imperative. Should last me till 2011 easily since games and apps barely take advantage of what I have right now.