Corsair versus Antec EarthWatts 650W

KamalS

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I was just browsing at Fry's and guess what - Antec EarthWatts 650W was available at $60 with a $20 MIR ! :bounce:

If the MIR get through, hopefully, this PSU would then cost me $40 :-D

I could not put the pic as attachment :-(

Question is - why is the PSU so cheap ( this was the day after Black Friday ) - is it crappy?

Any idea how it compares to the following PSU's from Corsair:

1. $65 ( $45 after MIR @ Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies ) CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W
2. $90 ( $80 after MIR @ Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies ) CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

I can return it for a refund - so I need a honest opinion!

Solution
^5 +1 what DellUser1 said.

The Antec Earthwatts series of power supplies is an improvement over some of the older Antec models. Corsair power supplies are excellent high quality psu's while the Antec Earthwatts series are very good for users on a budget. I recommend them if price is an issue.
^5 +1 what DellUser1 said.

The Antec Earthwatts series of power supplies is an improvement over some of the older Antec models. Corsair power supplies are excellent high quality psu's while the Antec Earthwatts series are very good for users on a budget. I recommend them if price is an issue.

Solution

cjb1019

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Personally, I recommend Corsair.
Yes, they can be a little pricy, but, they are of a very good quality, and I think that most if not all Corsair PSU's come with a 5 year warranty from Corsair themselves, at least all the one's I saw when I was upgrading did.

I cant remember exactly, but I think I heard that all Antec PSU's bar the Trupower series dont supply constant power at what they state it is, the figures they give are peaks

In any case, the thing I would look for in a PSU is constant power and a high MTBF

Also, if you haven't already, use a PSU calculator to figure out roughly what sort of wattage you'll need, and then buy something maybe 100W higher, to give you some headroom for upgrades or overclocking, if you're interested in that