LSI 1068E with Seagate Savvio 10k.2 SAS drives

rich1979

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hi all, I recently purchased two XW8600 workstations, which feature an onboard LSI 1068 SAS RAID controller. I also purchased 8 Seagate Savvio 10k.2 146GB SAS drives, planning on running 4 drives in each machine in a RAID 10 configuration. However, 5 of the 8 drives show as "WRG TYPE" in the RAID config utility, and thus cannot be added to the RAID volume. The other 3 of the 8 are accepted, and the config utility will allow them to be added to a RAID array. I've tried many different combinations (number of drives, and different ports on the motherboard), but always get the same results with the 5 drives that show up "WRG TYPE". The config utility does recognize them as Seagate drives with their serial number, but on the 5 bad drives, a drive size is not displayed.

I suppose it's possible that I got 5 bad drives, but it seems somewhat unlikely. I'm wondering if something needs to be done to the drives, or perhaps an update to the firmware for the controller/BIOS or something, but I'm running the 1.36 BIOS which seems to be the most recent. Can anyone please point me in the right direction here? Many thanks in advance!

rich1979

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Also, for what it's worth, I'm reading a lot of bad things about the 1068E controller, and I'd kind of like to have the capability to do a RAID expansion later, so I'm looking at the possibility of adding an aftermarket controller, maybe the Areca ARC-1222 -- Is there any chance this might also cure the problem with the hard drives (i.e. the 1068E is the problem)?

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
WRG Type basically means wrong type of drives. Try reseating the problem drives, if this does not work, check the drive firmware version and update them if applicaable. If this still doesn't work, you may have bad drives.