bcube

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
My pc turned off suddenly while watching tv in windows7 media centre
no post,beep
cpu fan and psu fan are running, keyboard lights on

Same thing happened several times before but system powered on

I thought that was driver or some thing related to software problem

Can a tv tuner card cause a mother board dead?

Tried isolating,resetting cmos and replacing ram,psu and hdd with no luck

ga-ma78gm-s2h 1.0
athlon x2 5600+
corasair 450 watt psu
pinnacle pci pro 110i tuner
2 sticks of 2gb ddr2 800mhz transcend
500gb seagate sata hdd

Sorry, i'm a little unclear on your statement. Are saying that the board doesn't POST but has a beep? or No POST and no beep?

It stands to reason that if you know about CMOS, then you know about the bad memory module/slot beep error codes, so i'm assuming you meant no beep.

Anyhow, "Can a tv tuner card cause a mother board dead?" Yes, it's possible, but improbable. If the card wasn't connected securely, it could cause a short.

Have you tried breadboarding to verify there isn't a short circuit somewhere?

bcube

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

no post, no beep

what is breadboarding?

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
breadboarding is building a system outside of a case, as in on an open workbench, normally on top of a non-conductive surface (such as wood or cardboard). This allows for easier troubleshooting of defective components.

To help answer your question, it's sounding an awful lot like either you have a dead power supply or a dead motherboard.
I'd try replacing the power supply first, since they tend to be a tad less expensive than the motherboard. Don't cheap out on the power supply though. Your system is only as good as the power going to it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033&Tpk=antec%20earthwatt%20380d

I recommend this one. I've had nothing but good luck with these, and have used them in a number of builds, most recently my own brother's computer. They're cheap and reliable, something you don't find too often together.

also
It's unlikely (however, possible) for an add-in card to kill a motherboard. If it were to do so, it would've most likely occurred shortly after adding the card to begin with.

Start by removing everything (all connectors, RAM, add in cards, etc.) except for the CPU and heatsink.

Next remove the motherboard from the case. While the board is sitting on a non-conductive surface, reconnect the case speaker (if available), power switch, and the power supply.

Now, turn on the power and press the power button. Since you don't have any RAM installed, you should hear several beeps (usually one long, followed by three short). If you don't hear beeps, consider two possibilities:

1. no case speaker attached
2. dead motherboard

Continuing with the breadboarding, if after you've installed all memory with no beeps heard, reconnect the hard drive and reinstall video card, ensuring that the video card is firmly set into the motherboard and the securing tab has locked the card into place.

If this part of the breadboarding test passes (if your monitor has display), one by one, add the rest of your components back. If at any point it fails to display or POST, you've likely found the bad part.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Um... you're forgetting, it may not be powering on because the power supply is dead and may not be able to get any power to the system at all...
I've found more often than not to be the case. Also much faster and cheaper than replacing a motherboard. And, it may prevent then need to tear the ENTIRE system apart

I'm not forgetting that. I do agree with your point, this does strongly sound like a power insufficiency, but the OP said he replaced the PSU and his symptoms also describe a short.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Ah, missed that. good eye.

Though, what power supply did you replace it with, Bcube? Hopefully not some off-the-shelf-no-name-dirt-cheap PSU. That could also be leading to additional problems.

By the sounds of things overall, (now that T_T pointed out why speed-reading = fail) I'd say it sounds like a voltage regulation problem with the motherboard. Could be something shorting out, or even something as simple and easy to overlook as a loose cable.
Most likely, though, you may be looking at motherboard replacement (if so, replace the PSU with a name-brand reliable 80 PLUS certified PSU, not as expensive as most people think).

Visually inspect the motherboard's capacitors and see if any of them are bulging or oozing first (saves time). If they are, she's gotta go. Otherwise, like T_T said, breadbox it till you get results (or lack of results). Get back to us :D

bcube

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

i call that (breadboarding) as isolating
i did that thing and replaced smps, ram, hdd from my friends working pc with no luck
i think its board
any way i had given the motherboard for repair
thank u for ur information very usefull

bcube

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

i replaced for checking with some cheap branded smps but working in my friends pc
thanks for your info

bcube

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I checked with the shop from which i bought the board
It has one month warranty left so i given the board for replacement
Iam waiting for replacement

thanks everybody for ur support