Sign in with
Your question

$2000 work+gaming PC build

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2009 3:35:57 AM

Use: Gaming (want Crysis in 1920 x 1200), Coding (want quad-core OCd past 3.0 for compiling/multitasking speed), CAD design, internet, etc.

Buy Date: Oct. 8 (1 month from now) or earlier.

Budget: proposed build is $2500 including externals but wouldn't mind some savings. I'm looking for good value for something I use for several hours each day.

Parts: See newegg list:
2xGTX275, i7, 128GB SSD, and monitor, games, etc.

Questions: (edited as questions are answered)
1. Does Newegg show me the most recent prices if prices drop on something I've saved to a wishlist?
Prices and availabilities do update.
2. Noise: how can I make this machine run really quietly (with dual gtx275s or similar)?
3. Where am I wasting money? All parts got good Newegg reviews, and this is the level of system I want, but I suspect there are better value parts and better deals out there.
Recommendations I've gotten so far:
PSU: TP-750 (better+cheaper)
RAM: OCZ platinum (better+cheaper, but I plan to go with OCZ gold for better reliability)
case: Antec 902 (if prices drop, otherwise still Antec 900)
mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 to give more space between GFX cards for better cooling (I plan to stay with EVGA E758-A1 for x16/x16/x8 instead of x16/x16/x1 and because I suspect SLI/Crossfire bridges require adjacent cards)
GFX: radeon 5xxx series when released
software: vista with win7 upgrade

4. Will dual GTX275s fit comfortably in an Antec 900 case?
They will fit. Cabling may be tight.

Thanks for the advice/comments.

More about : 2000 work gaming build

September 9, 2009 3:40:34 AM

Get the TP-750, it will provide you with the power you need for the GTX275s and still save you money
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

The OCZ platinums will also perform better while costing less
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you wont be buying until windows 7 is out then get a 5xxx series card when they come out rather than the GTX275s.

Newegg wishlists are dynamic, it just pulls the information from the items page, if the items price changes or it gets deactivated your wishlist is affected appropriately.
September 9, 2009 3:43:46 AM

Thanks man! Just what I needed. You rock.
Related resources
September 9, 2009 11:22:29 AM

Damn, $200 for Win7 home premium, thats rough. But yeah, if you can wait a few days or weeks (not entirely sure when 5000 series is coming out) you'll see much better performance for the price.
September 9, 2009 12:59:06 PM

Is the Win 7 free upgrade program over? If you can still get that, getting Vista Home Premium is way cheaper. If you don't mind making your own OS disk, you can even get the Win 7 upgrade the same day it releases via download, though only if the upgrade offer is still active.

As for the Antec 900, it should fit 2 large GFX cards just fine. The 902 has some nice revisions so I'd at least keep an eye on it for price drops, $140 is a bit much for it. Also, the Antec 1200 is a very nice full tower.
September 9, 2009 3:42:22 PM

if you want the gtx275s to run cooler id suggest using this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it has 2 slots between the pcie slots so you will get one slot worth of room for air to go into the top card unlike the evga board where both of the cards will be right on top of eachother.
September 9, 2009 10:39:06 PM

wathman said:
Is the Win 7 free upgrade program over? If you can still get that, getting Vista Home Premium is way cheaper. If you don't mind making your own OS disk, you can even get the Win 7 upgrade the same day it releases via download, though only if the upgrade offer is still active.

As for the Antec 900, it should fit 2 large GFX cards just fine. The 902 has some nice revisions so I'd at least keep an eye on it for price drops, $140 is a bit much for it. Also, the Antec 1200 is a very nice full tower.

You can get Windows7 today by downloading the 90 day free trial from the MS Web site. It will work for 90 days and then you can buy your retail / OEM copy on October 22nd . A reinstall is required.

September 10, 2009 12:01:53 AM

just wait a little so you can get the 5XXX. and try to buy vista with an option to upgrade to windows 7, it will be cheaper compare to buying it.
September 13, 2009 12:15:29 AM

Most "new system build" threads seem to not have feedback on if the build was successful. I plan to post pictures when it's done.
!