Why is my AMD TL-50 CPU running so hot?

chumpchange85

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I have a HP DV6113US running a 1.6ghz x2 AMD Turion TL-50. I haven't overclocked it. I installed speedfan because it seemed like it was running warm.

Here is what the temp readers were when idle

HD0: 39c
Temp1: 37c
Core1: 53c
Core2: 75c
Ambient: 0c

Are these normal temperatures for a machine running idle? When a heavy load is put on it Core2 goes up into the mid to high 80's. It just seems really warm compared to other people I have read about.

I took it all apart and I blew out the dust in the fan so that isn't the issue. If this is high what would be making it do this?

I wanted to overclock this to 1.8-2ghz. Would you not recommend this if it is already running this hot?

Yes. That is way too hot. My tx2500 is a model well known for running too hot and this is what it gets on partial load. I used to have this processor in my old gateway laptop and I don't think it ever got that hot even on load. Idle, it was around 30-40 I think.

Before doing anything, try reading the temperatures with a couple other programs aswell like HWmonitor. Just to make sure it's not just the program. Also, put your hand where the processor is. Is it warm? Is the air being exhausted warm?

You plan to overclock this processor with a limited bios where no settings can be changed, on an OEM computer that is a laptop? If you figure out how to do this, let me know. I am very curious now.

TRENDING THREADS