Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC problems which are sooooo irritating.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
February 15, 2012 1:03:53 PM

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum, just joined in the morning. I have some PC problems, which are really eating my head off. OK, so, the problems are as follows:

Hmm, now, the first problem my PC has is of crashing regularly with a BSOD for me. The BSOD is almost always "DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL", with the occasional "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS" Now, IDK the actual cause for this, but I think it's because of my modem driver. Whenever I isntall the modem driver on any PC, it always crashes the PC, at least once, but is limited to once per month or so in other PCs. My PC crashes regularly. Sometimes it goes on for days without crashing, and sometimes, it's 4 crashes in 15 minutes. IDK why it happens, since the modem is from the ISP and obviously, the driver shouldn't be buggy. Even if it is, I can't update the driver, because either the updater stops responding, or, if downloading the driver files, gives an error about the driver files not being available. It so sucks when it crashes with such frequency...

Second problem, which is the real irritation for now is that my modem keeps dis-connecting almost every 10 seconds. The thing is, if it stays idle, it automatically dis-connects (this is not the ISP dis-connecting me due to in-activity, it just dis-connects itself. On all other PCs, it stays connected even when idle, while on my PC, it dis-connects within 5-10 seconds of being idle.). It needs data transfer for connectivity sustenance. OK, I do keep sustenance by running and pausing BitTorrent downloads, which keep transmitting and 1-2 KB/S, though I'd like a solution. But recently, the problem has worsened. The modem suddenly stops sending any data, causing the receiving light to blink for 2 seconds or so, and dis-connecting. Never happens in any other PC, only in mine. It just stops sending data, for no reason whatsoever, and I have to constantly keep dis-connecting and re-connecting the USB data cable. It keeps dis-connecting within every 10 seconds or so, but it sometimes does stay on, eventually reverting to it's antics of dis-connecting every 5-10 seconds... Another thing is that the Net Connection (Local Area Connection 2 on my PC.) keeps dis-abling itself automatically. No amount of re-enabling it works, since if I try to do so, it gives an error that connection failed...Please help me before I go crazy and hammer my modem to pieces.

Third problem...My HDD is gone bad (or so, since ChkDsk doesn't solve problems now-a-days), even then, it does work normally, so not that bad. Still works good. The problem lies in maintaining it. I use Tune-Up Utilities and Diskeeper, and whenever I defragment my HDD or clean the registry, it gives the BSOD mentioned above. I thought defragmenting and cleaning registry was meant to be putting the PC to it's proper potential, which it doesn't...

Fourth problem...PC is gone real slow. Games like NFS Most Wanted and Underground 2, which work smooth after a re-format of Windows are gone slow. Even the Tune-Up Turbo Mode doesn't work. It does suck to play games slow.

Fifth problem...I chat using mIRC. Now many times, it keeps getting it's settings re-set. I have to always take the trouble of putting it's settings back in place, and you know how many settings it has. I also lose all the commands which are made by the right-click in a channel. It happens if my PC crashes, or, as it happened recently, when I re-started my PC normally.

Sixth problem...my PC takes forever to re-start. It does turn off sooner or later when doing a shut-down, but even if I set it to restart 2 hours ago, it's still be saying "Windows is shutting down". I always have to press the re-set button. It sucks to be waiting for a damn re-start.

Seventh and the last problem...Can someone living in Mumbai, India, tell me where (from which dealers, with their addresses and phone numbers) is the ATI Radeon 5970 available and at what price? I need it to play my games and so that I don't have to worry about another card for 3-4 years at least. Please do help me. And yea, among HDDs, which company is better, Hitachi, or Western Digital? I have had my WD HDD go bad in 2-3 years, while the Hitachi HDD, which I'm running on ventilators for now is the Hitachi, so I feel Hitachi is excellent, but your opinions are obviously honoured.

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. My PC specs are there in my Member Configuration, though I'd be glad to post anything you need and is not posted in the configuration list.
February 26, 2012 3:17:36 AM

First Problem:
What is IRQL LESS OR NOT EQUAL blue screen error?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUA...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardwar...(v=vs.85).aspx

MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardwar...(v=vs.85).aspx

Second Problem;
It's related to the first one.

Third and fourth problems;
May be related to the initial problem or your Power Supply may be suffering to keep up with the power demmands.

The Fifth problem;
I'm not familiar with the application so you may have to take the question to the Software forum.

The Sixth problem;
Can be related to the first one, the power supply, or bad RAM memory. You may also have many startup programs that eat-up all available memory, and many Temporary files. Try Startup Manager to remove programs from the startup, and run CCleaner to remove temporary files and other types of leftover files. Also you may have to edit the registry to make programs and services release and shutdown in seconds. Click on the link to see the registry editions.

Startup Manager
http://startupmanager.org/

Make Windows XP Shutdown Faster
http://www.howtogeek.com/80102/make-windows-xp-shut-dow...

The Seventh problem;
Can't answer the initial part, since I'm not in India, but I'd suggest you buy the Video Card, from the USA, some websites sell and ship around the World.
As for the second part, Hitachi Hard Drives are better or at least were a couple of years back. A review back then, said some HD manufacturers were improving their products and Western Digital was making good progress so by today they may be better quality than the one you had break-down. I'd suggest you do a search on the subject for more accurate info on Hard Drive quality.. Something like "top or 5-10 best Hard Drive manufacturers" should come up with good information.

In my experience; I bought a 4 year old used computer in 2004 which had a 40GB WD hard drive that was made in 2000 and it worked every day up to 2010 even though I had banged it in 2006 and it would click loud 16 times before every start. When I retired it was still running but a few months ago when I tried it on a new computer, it didn't run but only because the BIOS did not allow it. If I hadn't banged it I'm certain it would still be running today. So that goes to show WD are good but once in a while any make of HD can come out bad... or the type of usage or even power instability may cause early failure.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:44:04 PM

Do this.

Buy a new hard-drive, re-install Windows. Install the latest drivers for your hardware.

Get a modem for each of your computers so you are not re-installing it every day.

Contact the ISP and find out why it disconnects after an idle period.

Those three steps will clear up all issues unless you also have some RAM issues which not likely as the slowness, crashing, drive issues, all point to a need to re-install Windows and maybe a bad hard-drive.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 29, 2012 10:41:12 AM

Well, thanks for your help, Chicano and hang-the-9. OK, now that I know what the BSODs are, how can I solve them? I'm a complete noob at PC things, so I'll need some major help here, LOL. Most of the time, the BSODs say that it's the NDIS.sys file error. That file is related to networking, that I know, but what exactly is it related to is what I don't. As I said, it should be my modem, since the BSODs only come after I install the modem. The ISP is no help, since I did try contacting them, and all they tell me is to update the driver, and the real nuisance is that none of these things happen when some PC tech is nearby, only happens when I'm around, LOL. BTW, the problem of the modem disconnecting seems to have mysteriously solved itself. Doesn't disconnect now, though it still might.

The PC restart problem is gone, since it does restart and shut down normally instead of making me wait forever. As far as the HDD goes, I got a new 1 TB HDD from WD, but I needed a Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000, which, as always, is not available in this crap country. Now I just need to buy Windows 7 to install on the new HDD and I'll be fine. Really, problems do suck, especially the ones with complicated solutions, LOL. All I need in my PC is a graphic card and an HDD. I already know the top ones, which are, as you know, the ATI Radeon 5970 and the Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000, but when I tried on Amazon, they said that they wouldn't send the thing to my locations for reasons only known to themselves. And the main problem is that online sites demand cash first then send the material instead of cash-on-delivery, so I can't buy through online sites. So sucks to be born here and not in America, LOL.
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 12:09:39 PM

Re-installing Windows will clear up any crashes, including the blue screens, unless you have physical issues causing it, usually RAM. I have no clue what is available in your area for hardware though, check ebay maybe? The sellers there tend to ship to anywhere, for a price ofcourse.
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 6:07:46 PM

Yea, I know, but I will buy Win 7 Ultimate first, then install that on my new HDD. RAM had gone bad once, but it's been repaired. As far as eBay goes, as I said, they don't do cash on delivery, rather demand cash first, and no matter how trustworthy they may be, I'm not doing the latter.
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 6:15:39 PM

amnesiaaisenma said:
Well, thanks for your help, Chicano and hang-the-9. OK, now that I know what the BSODs are, how can I solve them? I'm a complete noob at PC things, so I'll need some major help here, LOL. Most of the time, the BSODs say that it's the NDIS.sys file error. That file is related to networking, that I know, but what exactly is it related to is what I don't. As I said, it should be my modem, since the BSODs only come after I install the modem. The ISP is no help, since I did try contacting them, and all they tell me is to update the driver, and the real nuisance is that none of these things happen when some PC tech is nearby, only happens when I'm around, LOL. BTW, the problem of the modem disconnecting seems to have mysteriously solved itself. Doesn't disconnect now, though it still might.

The PC restart problem is gone, since it does restart and shut down normally instead of making me wait forever. As far as the HDD goes, I got a new 1 TB HDD from WD, but I needed a Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000, which, as always, is not available in this crap country. Now I just need to buy Windows 7 to install on the new HDD and I'll be fine. Really, problems do suck, especially the ones with complicated solutions, LOL. All I need in my PC is a graphic card and an HDD. I already know the top ones, which are, as you know, the ATI Radeon 5970 and the Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000, but when I tried on Amazon, they said that they wouldn't send the thing to my locations for reasons only known to themselves. And the main problem is that online sites demand cash first then send the material instead of cash-on-delivery, so I can't buy through online sites. So sucks to be born here and not in America, LOL.


Well, to know what causes the BSODs you first need to read what it says... if it doesn't give enough time to read, change a setting in the Control Panel\System\Advanced\Start and Recovery\Settings\remove the check mark in "Restart Automatically" that will pause the BSOD so you can make a note of the error numbers. Then copy the first error number to a web search engine, followed by the next error number... sometimes all the numbers are related so you may have to copy all the error numbers to search at once.

Most of the times the errors relate to corrupt or infected drivers, other times to deffective devices, bad PSU, bad or not well seated RAM modules. In your case it may be one of two possible causes; bad or infected modem driver. Some google search results mention the ndis.sys BSOD ocurring only when they used a P2P application so it's obvious they had a bug in their system... if you already removed applications from the startup, that could be what "misteriously" solved the problem. It depends on what you did because it did not get solved by itself.

What ndis.sys is?, well, no definite answers are available, this is the closest to one I got.
Fix NDIS.sys error (Network Adapter driver error)
http://www.file.net/process/ndis.sys.html
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 7:51:08 AM

Well, I already have the setting to show me the BSOD instead of restarting it. The error numbers are always different. And I had searched for all those a while ago, giving me no results. Most of the searches lead to something completely different than what you're searching for. As far as P2P clients go, I do have BitTorrent running, but sometimes, I don't run it and it still crashes. All I did was to clean the registry and defragment the HDD, which just solved my shutdown problem and the disconnection problem.

BTW, my modem (or PC, IDK properly) has constant activity. Yea, I know I had said that I want constant activity to avoid disconnections, but this activity uses up 7-8 KB/S of my 32 KB/S bandwidth. BT downloads only run at 10 KB/S now instead of the standard 25-28 KB/S. I tried Microsoft's NetMon to search the process, but that is too complicated. IDK how to search for the process. In Task Manager, the only process that eats up my CPU is Diskeeper, and that is not a program which communicates with the net. The activity doesn't impede my ability to access the net, obviously, but does slow it down by quite an amount.

So overall, the BSODs haven't solved since the errors are always different for me to see them, and the internet dis-connectivity has turned to constant unneeded activity. Still stuck in the sewer, I guess, LOL.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 9:51:44 PM

amnesiaaisenma said:
So overall, the BSODs haven't solved since the errors are always different for me to see them, and the internet dis-connectivity has turned to constant unneeded activity. Still stuck in the sewer, I guess, LOL.


Most of the error numbers you posted seem to be related to corrupted drivers and the "different errors" and "constant unneeded activity" may indicate an infection and that the Modem is damaged... it may also explain the 10KB/S.. so I would sugest a virus-malware & scan, an online virus scan, and removal of temp files, cookies, and any other obsolete files CCleaner can remove. After that, reinstall fresh modem drivers, and check the modem configuration on; "Check/Uncheck Disconnect if idle for # minutes".... also Reset the TCP/IP and Restore the Winsock2 with "XP TCP/IP Repair". Aftrer that, I would interchange the modem with one that's working correctly on another computer, this would at least isolate the problem to either the modem or the system. BTW restart the computer after completing each action for better chances of succeeding. Also check the article, it may help you with ideas and possible causes,.. and use a Network Diagnostic Tool or another connection diagnose application to see what possible problems it may find on your connection.

Frequent modem Disconnects
http://help.expedient.com/dialup/disconnects.shtml

Solving real problems with the Network Diagnostic Tool
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9002626/Solving_...
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 10:02:30 PM

amnesiaaisenma said:
So overall, the BSODs haven't solved since the errors are always different for me to see them, and the internet dis-connectivity has turned to constant unneeded activity. Still stuck in the sewer, I guess, LOL.


Most of the error numbers you posted seem to be related to corrupted drivers and the "different errors" and "constant unneeded activity" may indicate an infection and that the Modem is damaged... it may also explain the 10KB/S.. so I would sugest a virus-malware & scan, an online virus scan, and removal of temp files, cookies, and any other obsolete files CCleaner can remove. After that, reinstall fresh modem drivers, and check the modem configuration on; "Idle Disconnect", "inactivity disconnect" or whatever the setting is named like. Also Reset the TCP/IP stack and Restore the Winsock2 with "XP TCP/IP Repair". After that, I would interchange the modem with one that's working correctly on another computer, this would at least isolate the problem to either the modem or the system. BTW restart the computer after completing each action for better chances of succeeding. Also check the following article, it may help you with ideas and possible causes,.. and use a Network Diagnostic Tool or another connection diagnose application to see what possible problems may be found on your connection.

Frequent modem Disconnects
http://help.expedient.com/dialup/disconnects.shtml

Solving real problems with the Network Diagnostic Tool
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9002626/Solving_...
m
0
l
March 12, 2012 5:27:45 PM

Sorry for not replying all these days, had to renew my internet subscription. OK, now...modem can't be changed, since it's from ISP, and I guess the day India gets the right to bear arms like the US, that day, this system should change, and the day isn't quite near, so modem change is not possible. As far as scanning goes, I have the Virus, named Virut (was the first, or one of the first to get it in the world, makes me a bit famous). AVG is a resident virus scanner and get viruses on almost all the files I need and which are irreplaceable, so I guess it won't do much good scanning with that one, so which scanner should I use? Malwarebytes? As far as cleaning obsolete files goes, I use Tune-Up Utilities and the built-in cleaner.

BTW, there is no modem configuration available, except as the Local Area Connection 2. And IDK how to reset the TCP/IP stack and restore Winsock2. Also, I can't update drivers, as I had said before, that it always gives errors.
Quote:
IDK why it happens, since the modem is from the ISP and obviously, the driver shouldn't be buggy. Even if it is, I can't update the driver, because either the updater stops responding, or, if downloading the driver files, gives an error about the driver files not being available.


And how do I use the Network Diagnostic Tool? I mean, where is the starting shortcut for the program?
m
0
l
March 12, 2012 8:51:36 PM

amnesiaaisenma said:
OK, now...modem can't be changed, since it's from ISP, and I guess the day India gets the right to bear arms like the US, that day, this system should change, and the day isn't quite near, so modem change is not possible.

I meant temporarily interchange the modem with one that's working correctly on another computer. If that corrects the problem, you could just ask your ISP to replace your modem... or instead you could ask them to check modem and connection, as far as I know, every ISP is supposed to setup your internet connection to your satisfaction and that would include checking your connection each time it is required.
amnesiaaisenma said:
As far as scanning goes, I have the Virus, named Virut (was the first, or one of the first to get it in the world, makes me a bit famous). AVG is a resident virus scanner and get viruses on almost all the files I need and which are irreplaceable, so I guess it won't do much good scanning with that one, so which scanner should I use? Malwarebytes? As far as cleaning obsolete files goes, I use Tune-Up Utilities and the built-in cleaner.

I got the virut virus years ago and tried quite a few applications but the ones that made a difference were Combofix and Win32/Virut Remover 1.2.0.715. In my case the Virut virus infected many .exe files which meant they had to be deleted and many Windows and third party programs were disabled. You may have to disable the System Restore to delete any copies of the virus that may hide in the C:\System Volume Informatio folder.
The virut virus may be what is causing your connection problem as it disables many system and third party applications and functions, so you will have to remove the virus and restore any system .exe files you may have to delete. Replace System files with "sfc /scannow" in Start\Run with the Windows XP CD in the CD\DVD Drive.
amnesiaaisenma said:
BTW, there is no modem configuration available, except as the Local Area Connection 2. And IDK how to reset the TCP/IP stack and restore Winsock2. Also, I can't update drivers, as I had said before, that it always gives errors.

To reset TCP and repair the Winsock, use XP TCP/IP Repair 2.1. Remove the Virut virus before updating drivers, it may be what is preventing the update.
amnesiaaisenma said:
IDK why it happens, since the modem is from the ISP and obviously, the driver shouldn't be buggy. Even if it is, I can't update the driver, because either the updater stops responding, or, if downloading the driver files, gives an error about the driver files not being available.
And how do I use the Network Diagnostic Tool? I mean, where is the starting shortcut for the program?

Download NDT from this Network Diagnostic Tool (KB914440) link... it's not the same application as mentioned before but this one is from Microsoft and probably better. The right download link for the other one is hard to find, the one available at the link I posted before is for the source code, so it's probably useless to regular users.
m
0
l
March 17, 2012 4:48:40 AM

Sorry, was a bit busy these days, and Windows 7 is slow, so had troubles coming online. I got it installed, but it runs so damn slow, especially with Windows Aero. Task Manager eats 16-24% of the CPU, while tabs on Google Chrome, if left un-touched for a while, become un-responsive and start eating 50-60% CPU. And the BitTorrent bar in Chrome eats 34-35% CPU. I mean, what's the use of the things then? I disabled Aero, still it runs slow. I though Windows 7 was to be fast, and I don't even have a damn graphic card available here. Really, PC life in India sucks.

As far as the Windows XP problems go, I've had the above problems I just mentioned in the above paragraph with Windows 7, so I haven't had time to do any of what you said to XP. Windows 7 wasted quite my time, LOL. And I know what you said about the modem. The thing is, it's the same modem on different PCs. There is no other modem available at all. The same modem which works on other PCs doesn't work on my PC...Modem hasn't been changed when switching PCs. Modem has always been the same, only the PCs have changed. And I did tell to my ISP. Once, they did send 2 men to my house, which they "usually" don't do, and those 2 fools found no problems at all. Seems like it's true, since the same modem is fine on other PCs. Fault must be in the PC, although Windows 7 hasn't encountered this problem yet.

The Virut virus no longer exists, but the thing is, I have much personal data, which is irreplaceable. And AVG keeps finding all sorts of viruses in them. The PC never has problems running those files, neither those files cause any trouble, so AVG is either wrong, or the viruses are benign. System Restore doesn't work, so I can delete it if needed. As far as checking system files go, the thing is, the CD I have is of XP SP2, and I installed SP3 through Windows Update. Won't work in that case, right?

I'll also try out the Network repairs. Just hope it solves the problem and doesn't make me hammer the modem, LOL.

There is one more thing. Now don't ask me why I use cracked versions of games, but I do. And don't worry, they are virus free. The problem is with GTA San Andreas and with any Gold Source game, like Half-Life and Counter-Strike 1.6 or Condition Zero. Now, the thing is, for GTA San Andreas, I use a trainer to get infinite Health, Armour and Running (To prevent time waste in searching for those healing things). Now, all the cheats in the trainer work correctly if I run GTA first, then install Java, and then run it again. But when installing Windows 7, I forgot to do that. Installed Java first, and now, whenever I use the Infinite Health cheat, game crashes (Happens in XP too). Probably with the "Memory could not be read or read, bla bla bla" error. Gold Source games don't start at all, giving the memory error in the first place. I know this is a game question, but since Java is involved, I thought of asking here. Also, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 never starts. The moment I move my mouse around as soon as the game starts, the memory error appears. But the thing is, I don't think the HL2:EP2 Error is related to the ones I mentioned above, since it crashes whether I do the Java goof-up or no... I am sick of these memory errors, and obviously, all these errors which spoil my fun. I mean, why can't the PC correct itself rather than give an error and stop in it's tracks? Haven't been able to complete the Half-Life series due to that. Sucks.

And one last thing, LOL. Any way to speed up my games when running in Windows 7 with Windows XP compatibility? Games lag a bit when starting, and when changing screens, so just want that to dis-appear. I am asking Windows 7 problems here, because they and XP are related, so can't post them in 2 different places and expect a proper solution Thanks in advance.
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 3:13:41 AM

amnesiaaisenma said:
Sorry, was a bit busy these days, and Windows 7 is slow, so had troubles coming online. I got it installed, but it runs so damn slow, especially with Windows Aero. Task Manager eats 16-24% of the CPU, while tabs on Google Chrome, if left un-touched for a while, become un-responsive and start eating 50-60% CPU. And the BitTorrent bar in Chrome eats 34-35% CPU. I mean, what's the use of the things then? I disabled Aero, still it runs slow. I though Windows 7 was to be fast, and I don't even have a damn graphic card available here. Really, PC life in India sucks.


Check If your computer meets the minimum recommended system requirements of:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/sy...

In my experience, Windows 7 is as fast as XP so you shouldn't be experiencing this problem unless it's being affected by the same cause as your XP on the same computer... that cause is probably the Virut virus.. but affecting Windows 7 in a different way.

amnesiaaisenma said:
As far as the Windows XP problems go, I've had the above problems I just mentioned in the above paragraph with Windows 7, so I haven't had time to do any of what you said to XP. Windows 7 wasted quite my time, LOL. And I know what you said about the modem. The thing is, it's the same modem on different PCs. There is no other modem available at all. The same modem which works on other PCs doesn't work on my PC...Modem hasn't been changed when switching PCs. Modem has always been the same, only the PCs have changed. And I did tell to my ISP. Once, they did send 2 men to my house, which they "usually" don't do, and those 2 fools found no problems at all. Seems like it's true, since the same modem is fine on other PCs. Fault must be in the PC, although Windows 7 hasn't encountered this problem yet.


OK, if the same modem works fine on other computers as well as on the same computer under Windows 7, it means the problem is affecting the Windows XP connection but on Windows 7 it's affecting the speed. The Windows 7 firewall works both ways so the virus may not be capable of affecting the connection but it apparently does affect the system speed.

amnesiaaisenma said:
The Virut virus no longer exists, but the thing is, I have much personal data, which is irreplaceable. And AVG keeps finding all sorts of viruses in them. The PC never has problems running those files, neither those files cause any trouble, so AVG is either wrong, or the viruses are benign. System Restore doesn't work, so I can delete it if needed. As far as checking system files go, the thing is, the CD I have is of XP SP2, and I installed SP3 through Windows Update. Won't work in that case, right?

I'll also try out the Network repairs. Just hope it solves the problem and doesn't make me hammer the modem, LOL.


You apparently still have the Virut virus in the system. As you can read on the description, it can apparently be benign but it will cause problems when active... I remember when I had it, my modem kept flickering when the Internet browser was idle, indicating the virus was sending and receiving information. I had to install a third party firewall to block outgoing information while I was bussy removing the virus.. my system was stable, so your system's stability doesn't mean it's free from the virus and your modem's constant activity as well as the continuous disconnections, are apparently caused by the virus. The "DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL", can be caused by driver or virus problems, so I think you need to completely remove the Virut virus following a proved method. I had to delete all the .exe files that were infected and disable SR to completely remove the virus... I used Combofix and Win32/Virut Remover 1.2.0.715 which deleted hundreds of infected files... it was time consuming and difficult to finally get rid of it so I seriously doubt you have completely removed it.. besides, your modem activity is proof of it.
Virut virus details and removal tools here

amnesiaaisenma said:
There is one more thing. Now don't ask me why I use cracked versions of games, but I do. And don't worry, they are virus free. The problem is with GTA San Andreas and with any Gold Source game, like Half-Life and Counter-Strike 1.6 or Condition Zero. Now, the thing is, for GTA San Andreas, I use a trainer to get infinite Health, Armour and Running (To prevent time waste in searching for those healing things). Now, all the cheats in the trainer work correctly if I run GTA first, then install Java, and then run it again. But when installing Windows 7, I forgot to do that. Installed Java first, and now, whenever I use the Infinite Health cheat, game crashes (Happens in XP too). Probably with the "Memory could not be read or read, bla bla bla" error. Gold Source games don't start at all, giving the memory error in the first place. I know this is a game question, but since Java is involved, I thought of asking here. Also, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 never starts. The moment I move my mouse around as soon as the game starts, the memory error appears. But the thing is, I don't think the HL2:EP2 Error is related to the ones I mentioned above, since it crashes whether I do the Java goof-up or no... I am sick of these memory errors, and obviously, all these errors which spoil my fun. I mean, why can't the PC correct itself rather than give an error and stop in it's tracks? Haven't been able to complete the Half-Life series due to that. Sucks.


Well I have to admit I know very little about gaming so I cant help you on that subject, but based on your comment as: "I am sick of these memory errors"... makes me believe that the Virut virus is still causing you problems since it is "memory resident" as mentioned here

amnesiaaisenma said:
And one last thing, LOL. Any way to speed up my games when running in Windows 7 with Windows XP compatibility? Games lag a bit when starting, and when changing screens, so just want that to dis-appear. I am asking Windows 7 problems here, because they and XP are related, so can't post them in 2 different places and expect a proper solution Thanks in advance.


This is probably caused by the lack of a capable Graphics Card and compounded by the virus infection which apparently has infected Windows 7 as well though affecting it in a different way. So focus your time in completely cleaning the Virus virus out of the computer. If your system resources are adequate, the only cause affecting your new installation must be the Virut virus.
m
0
l
March 23, 2012 4:46:48 AM

OK, so let's go over these problems one after the other, so it's easier. First, we'll correct the Virut problem. Now yesterday, I ran the Virut Remover from AVG...on the first scan, it gave 4 items as being infected, but when I went for lunch, PC crashed, as usual. So, I couldn't get the results. The second time I ran it, it gave 0 files infected, and AVG reports the clean files as being infected with Virut. AV says something, Virut Remover says something else. What do I do?AVG reports as many other viruses beign there, but this Virut is chopping my head off, LOL. So, what you think?

And BTW, does this forum use BBCode? Because it is mentioned here, but when I went to use [font=Carmine Tango][/font], it showed the code instead of changing the font, so is with the size.
m
0
l
March 23, 2012 11:47:57 PM

amnesiaaisenma said:
OK, so let's go over these problems one after the other, so it's easier. First, we'll correct the Virut problem. Now yesterday, I ran the Virut Remover from AVG...on the first scan, it gave 4 items as being infected, but when I went for lunch, PC crashed, as usual. So, I couldn't get the results. The second time I ran it, it gave 0 files infected, and AVG reports the clean files as being infected with Virut. AV says something, Virut Remover says something else. What do I do?AVG reports as many other viruses beign there, but this Virut is chopping my head off, LOL. So, what you think?

And BTW, does this forum use BBCode? Because it is mentioned here, but when I went to use [font=Carmine Tango][/font], it showed the code instead of changing the font, so is with the size.



I think all those viruses are the Virut... AFAIK it can assume different names.. watch your modem leds.. send & receive should turn off or remain on & stable (depending on what's normal for it) meaning there is no information being sent or received... that would help determine if the virus has been removed or is still in your system.

This forum does use BBCode. Some of these problems can be caused by leaving an empty space within the brackets where there's not supposed to be one... But in this case, I think you typed BBcode manually!.. the color bbcode is supposed to be selected from the color band after clicking the "View more" button..
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 6:48:37 AM

[font=Carmine Tango]OK, sorry, I have had a lot of work here, so I haven't been able to check in Windows XP, since I use 7 most of the time. I will check as soon as possible and reply. Sorry to keep you waiting. BTW, I used BBCode and the code is visible instead of the results. What am I doing wrong?[/font]
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 8:10:02 PM

amnesiaaisenma said:
[font=Carmine Tango]OK, sorry, I have had a lot of work here, so I haven't been able to check in Windows XP, since I use 7 most of the time. I will check as soon as possible and reply. Sorry to keep you waiting. BTW, I used BBCode and the code is visible instead of the results. What am I doing wrong?[/font]


I only come online and/or check for responses a few times a day so waiting is not a problem.

What you're doing wrong with BBCode is this = [font=Carmine Tango] should be like [ #ff003b]this[ /#ff003b] (no spaces between brackets obviously).

I don't see "Carmine Tango" anywhere so I assume you are typing it in the "Quick Reply" box?.. if so, you should instead click on the "Add Reply" link select the text you want colored and next click on the "more" button, and next click from the color band, on the color you want, the resulting bbcode should look in the edition box like this = [ #ff003b]your text[ /#ff003b] (no spaces between the brackets): Sample: left side of the color bbcode band:

If you prefer to type the color bbcode, check this code list http://www.absitomen.com/index.php?topic=331.0 ... to type a color code, copy or type the code between opening brackets, add your text, and repeat the code between closing brackets.
m
0
l
May 16, 2012 9:02:55 AM

[font=Times New Roman]OK, I am extremely sorry for this long wait. Have some real-life problems which refuse to go, so I am not online as long as I used to be (sick of the PC now, actually, LOL). OK, I am not using Windows XP anymore, for there are 2 reasons. First, I do most of my work on Windows 7, and I have BitTorrent set up for Windows 7. Whenever I start Windows XP, I have to re-check all torrents, which takes time. Second, I got a graphic card, the AMD ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 7950, and lack enough power cords, so had to disconnect the Windows XP HDD to give enough power to the graphic card. So, as of now, I'll just lay rest to Windows XP problems, since there's no using Windows XP unless necessary. I have some hardware problems, so I need to solve them now. I will post it in the MotherBoards section of the Forum, so I can avoid wrong posting. Thanks for all the help you guys gave.

As far as BBCode goes, Carmine Tango is a font, not a colour, so I have to use [font=Carmine Tango ] TEXT [ /font] to display the font in BBCode. I am fine with the default colour, just want to change the size and type of font. I love Carmine Tango and would like to use that unless the Forum has no support for that font. Please advise. I can easily put out colour for things in BBCode, just need to change the font. Also, I am not typing in the Quick Reply box, but rather in Add A Reply, so shouldn't be a problem with BBCode being wrong. I am trying the font Times New Roman for this post, will see if it works or no. Thanks.[/font]
m
0
l
May 17, 2012 12:02:27 AM



As you can see in the image, those are all the font bbcodes available no matter which web browser I use, and there is no option in my user profile to add other bbcodes... so the forum may not support other than the default Times New Roman font
m
0
l
!