Upgraded memory 2GB to 4gb (possible 6gb total). Unstable.

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Hey guys,

I have just recently purchased 4 gigs (2x2GB) of memory and have been wanting to upgrade my current memory (Currently 2 gigs 2x1GB) to a total of 6GB. However, when I put the four modules in, I get memory errors. They have the same speed settings (both have 5-5-5-18) and one requires 1.9 Volts and one 1.8 volts. Is it the volts that are causing the problem?

Basically I am a dunce when it comes to memory and memory timing. I know that both sets of modules work by themselves but together they don't. If it is a voltage thing will i damage the 1.8 volt dimms by updating the voltage settings to 1.9?

Can anyone help?

P.s. Memory specific links below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227199

Slot 1: 2gb
Slot 2: 1gb
Slot 3: 2gb
Slot 4: 1gb

:??:

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
The OCZ is working fine alone so that is ok.

When I go into Bios, all the mem voltage settins are auto. when I hit the drop down to slect something besides auto, the lowest is 1.938 or somthing just above 9. Will I toast the 1.8v memory (OCZ) if i boost the momory voltagte to 1.9? it only indicates it needs 1.8.

Just to be sure you know...

32-bit OS will not recognize more than 3.75GB RAM, regardless of how much you physically have installed. I mention this because if you are using a 32-bit system, just use the 2x2GB in dual channel mode (most of the time side-by-side, but check your motherboard manual).

If you are using a 64-bit OS, then all 6 GB of your RAM should be recognized. With that said, have you tried installing the modules in the following order:

DIMM 1: 2GB
DIMM 2: 2GB
DIMM 3: 1GB
DIMM 4: 1GB

While we're on the subject, are you 100% sure you installed the RAM in the right slots. Not all motherboard DIMMs are numbered 1-4; some may be 2,1,4,3 or something weird.

winrot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
for the Dim Slots I just matched the color. Slot 1 and 3 are blue and 2 and 4 are yellow so I figured match up the colors. I don't think the problem is with the OS. I do just have the 32 bit OS but I am getting hardware failures when I test the memory before any OS boots up. I am guessing it is a voltage thing but I am open to any other suggestions. I just need a little guidance on if there will be problems if I boost the voltage.

Your response suggests that you didn't actually read the manual. Matching the colors is a reasonable assumption, but if you have the manual, you shouldn't guess.
Secondly, incorret timings certainly can cause boot failure or "freezing". Until you actually get your 64-bit OS installed, you won't even be able to see more than 3.75 GB.

I recognize that leaving out the 2 x 1 GB modules doesn't address your concern, but you won't be able to successfully test that all RAM is being recognize/utilized, even if your system doesn't crash. Just leave the extra 2GB out for now, and reinstall them when you have a 64-bit OS. At that time, run MemTest86+ for at least 10 passes, but let it finish if you can afford the time.