Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded memory 2GB to 4gb (possible 6gb total). Unstable.

Last response: in Memory
February 26, 2010 7:45:02 PM

Hey guys,

I have just recently purchased 4 gigs (2x2GB) of memory and have been wanting to upgrade my current memory (Currently 2 gigs 2x1GB) to a total of 6GB. However, when I put the four modules in, I get memory errors. They have the same speed settings (both have 5-5-5-18) and one requires 1.9 Volts and one 1.8 volts. Is it the volts that are causing the problem?

Basically I am a dunce when it comes to memory and memory timing. I know that both sets of modules work by themselves but together they don't. If it is a voltage thing will i damage the 1.8 volt dimms by updating the voltage settings to 1.9?

Can anyone help?

P.s. Memory specific links below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Slot 1: 2gb
Slot 2: 1gb
Slot 3: 2gb
Slot 4: 1gb

:??: 
February 26, 2010 8:04:12 PM

Try it with just the OCZ memory in and see if that works, also go into BIOS and make sure all dims are running at 1.8v, see if that changes anythg
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:55:58 PM

The OCZ is working fine alone so that is ok.

When I go into Bios, all the mem voltage settins are auto. when I hit the drop down to slect something besides auto, the lowest is 1.938 or somthing just above 9. Will I toast the 1.8v memory (OCZ) if i boost the momory voltagte to 1.9? it only indicates it needs 1.8.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 10:10:56 PM

The DIMMs might be incompatible with each other in that case then, if both sets work fine apart... most likely to be a compatibility issue more than anything else..
m
l
a b } Memory
February 26, 2010 11:17:55 PM

Just to be sure you know...

32-bit OS will not recognize more than 3.75GB RAM, regardless of how much you physically have installed. I mention this because if you are using a 32-bit system, just use the 2x2GB in dual channel mode (most of the time side-by-side, but check your motherboard manual).

If you are using a 64-bit OS, then all 6 GB of your RAM should be recognized. With that said, have you tried installing the modules in the following order:

DIMM 1: 2GB
DIMM 2: 2GB
DIMM 3: 1GB
DIMM 4: 1GB

While we're on the subject, are you 100% sure you installed the RAM in the right slots. Not all motherboard DIMMs are numbered 1-4; some may be 2,1,4,3 or something weird.
m
l
February 27, 2010 1:25:03 AM

for the Dim Slots I just matched the color. Slot 1 and 3 are blue and 2 and 4 are yellow so I figured match up the colors. I don't think the problem is with the OS. I do just have the 32 bit OS but I am getting hardware failures when I test the memory before any OS boots up. I am guessing it is a voltage thing but I am open to any other suggestions. I just need a little guidance on if there will be problems if I boost the voltage.
m
l
February 27, 2010 1:25:36 AM

and on march first I will be installing 64 bit Windows 7
m
l
a b } Memory
February 27, 2010 9:09:15 AM

winrot said:
for the Dim Slots I just matched the color. Slot 1 and 3 are blue and 2 and 4 are yellow so I figured match up the colors. I don't think the problem is with the OS. I do just have the 32 bit OS but I am getting hardware failures when I test the memory before any OS boots up. I am guessing it is a voltage thing but I am open to any other suggestions. I just need a little guidance on if there will be problems if I boost the voltage.

Your response suggests that you didn't actually read the manual. Matching the colors is a reasonable assumption, but if you have the manual, you shouldn't guess.
Secondly, incorret timings certainly can cause boot failure or "freezing". Until you actually get your 64-bit OS installed, you won't even be able to see more than 3.75 GB.

I recognize that leaving out the 2 x 1 GB modules doesn't address your concern, but you won't be able to successfully test that all RAM is being recognize/utilized, even if your system doesn't crash. Just leave the extra 2GB out for now, and reinstall them when you have a 64-bit OS. At that time, run MemTest86+ for at least 10 passes, but let it finish if you can afford the time.
m
l
February 27, 2010 1:16:06 PM

you might as well ditch the 2x1's and just leave the 4 gigs, 32bit OS cant used anymore more then 3.25GB anyways. Plus are you really gonna use 6 gigs?
m
l
!