Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 on an Intel i3 2100

Last response: in Overclocking
November 23, 2011 2:50:14 PM

Hello,

I recently bought Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU cooler to replace my stock fan on my Intel i3 2100. When playing games, let's say Skyrim, my CPU core temps on stock cooler hit 60C max, that is from looking CPUID HW monitor. On the new cooler, the max temp my cores hit was 56C. I ran Prime95 CPU test and on the third test, CPU cores hit 60C with CPU being 100% used.

I don't know if this is right but I think the temps should be lower, considering how bad the stock cooler was and how bad the thermal compound was placed.

This was my first time ever placing a CPU cooler myself. I made sure that the whole CPU sink was covered with a thin cover of thermal compound and I installed the heatsink just fine, it wasn't loose when I was finished.

Also, checking the fan speed from Intel Desktop Utilities, the fan never went over 720RPM. It always hovered around 700-720RPM no matter how much stress it was under. The stock fan speed changed automatically depending on how much stress my CPU was under, ranging from 1000 RPM (idle) up to 1500 RPM (load).

So currently, I changed the fan speed manually to 850RPM. Is there some way to make my MB to control the fan speed or is it impossible because it isn't an Intel fan?

I am kinda worried that I just paid for nothing and I would have to get a new cooler when it's summer time.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 3:02:10 PM

I don't understand why you didn't just stay with the stock cooler, 60c is perfectly normal and you can't overclock it so why would you buy an aftermarket cooler?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 3:24:30 PM

he's the kind of person that wants 0*F, shoulda gone water cooling for it to be under 20*C or 30*C
Related resources
November 23, 2011 3:57:50 PM

No, I'm definitely not the type of person who wants super low degrees. It is just that currently it is winter but during summer, the temperature rises quite a lot, even in-door and my PC is under the desk so it isn't well ventilated.

I wanted to get a new CPU cooler now so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I am guessing that my CPU cores would go up to 70C during Summer.

This is the reason why I got a better cooler.

I hope you could answer my question rather questioning my reasons for buying a new cooler. Besides, the stock cooler had a round heatsink that didn't even cover the CPU.

Also, I have the fan running at 800-850RPM and it's blowing towards the back of the case where I have a case fan that is running at 500RPM. Will that cause any problems or should I regulate them both to run at the same speed?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 6:03:17 PM

amarante said:
No, I'm definitely not the type of person who wants super low degrees. It is just that currently it is winter but during summer, the temperature rises quite a lot, even in-door and my PC is under the desk so it isn't well ventilated.

I wanted to get a new CPU cooler now so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I am guessing that my CPU cores would go up to 70C during Summer.

This is the reason why I got a better cooler.

I hope you could answer my question rather questioning my reasons for buying a new cooler. Besides, the stock cooler had a round heatsink that didn't even cover the CPU.

Also, I have the fan running at 800-850RPM and it's blowing towards the back of the case where I have a case fan that is running at 500RPM. Will that cause any problems or should I regulate them both to run at the same speed?

If you lap the CPU + HeatSink, you can get at least around 5*C drop(Maximum drop was 10*C Drop on air cooler) which is very high drop for CPU around 70-80*C...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 7:28:54 PM

Ill suggest you reseat the heatsink. TX3 isn't amazing but it should be better than that.
November 23, 2011 7:33:49 PM

spentshells said:
Ill suggest you reseat the heatsink. TX3 isn't amazing but it should be better than that.

Should I also re-apply the thermal compound?

I also don't understand why the fan speed never changes when under load. It is directly connected to the motherboard.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 9:56:13 PM

Yes remove the cooler and cpu then clean the paste with alcohol then reapply and reseat.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 10:47:20 PM

spentshells said:
Yes remove the cooler and cpu then clean the paste with alcohol then reapply and reseat.

+1, before that, you should lap it lol... JK, only if you want to but at your own risk as warranty is gone on the very millisecond you put it on the sand paper...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 12:26:18 PM

Don't bother lapping, it's tedious and you get very little results, I know I've done it before.

I think you should look at your case cooling rather than your cpu cooling.
November 24, 2011 1:02:36 PM

Ok, I redid everything but I haven't checked the temps yet but there is one thing that I noticed when I removed the heatsink. It seemed that the middle heat pipe had no thermal grease on it while the left and the right one had some spots on it. When I checked the pipes, it seemed that the middle one was not on level with the other two.

I don't know if that is a problem or not but shouldn't all the heat pipes be on the same level so it could physically connect to the CPU?

EDIT: Temps seems to be a bit better now but I am still concerned if the heat pipes were badly placed or if it was a design choice.

Also, I know that this cooler uses the heat pipes to absorb heat and then spread it across the radiator and since my motherboard doesn't control the fan speed of the CPU cooler automatically, I have it set at 1000RPM manually and it will always stay at that. So logically, the fan is actually cooling the radiator and not the CPU itself. So even though I get good temperature readings, might it be possible that the radiator can run too hot?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 5:15:29 PM

what are the temps ?
November 24, 2011 6:00:49 PM

I ran Prime95 "In place large FFT" test. I let it do 5 tests and I used CPUID HW monitor program for my temperatures.

Here's the highest temps that my PC went:

SYSTIN: 33C
CPUTIN: 34C
AUXTIN: 57C
Core #0: 53C
Core #1: 57C

Oh and my CPU CORE was running at 1.22V if that helps.

The cooler was running at 1000RPM the whole time. I didn't feel any hot air coming out of my PC really.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 6:14:38 PM

This is full load ?
Making the fan be controled by the motherboard is simple put it the fan settings on auto and be sure the 4 pin is connected to the motherboard correctly.

What were your temps with the old fan ? What case do you have ?
November 24, 2011 6:38:53 PM

I have the 4 pin connected directly to the motherboard and I think it is connected correctly. I have it connected the same way like the stock cooler was. The settings in BIOS was set to auto under fans but that didn't make any difference, it was still running at 700RPM all the time.

I didn't do the Prime95 test with my old fan but playing games, the cores have hit up to 62C.

My case is Cooler Master Elite 350 with 120mm rear fan running at 550RPM.

Are those temps bad? That test put my CPU on full load, yes. It was running at 100% constantly under the test.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 7:45:31 PM

Full load those temps are not bad but they are not really as good as possible
perhaps your case needs a fan pulling in.
November 24, 2011 7:49:50 PM

spentshells said:
Full load those temps are not bad but they are not really as good as possible
perhaps your case needs a fan pulling in.

Yes, I was wondering about that but I will leave this option til summer. Still, I can't seem to get the auto fan speed working.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 7:53:07 PM

In the bios see if you are able to increase the RPM.
a c 79 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 8:12:11 PM

geekapproved said:
Don't bother lapping, it's tedious and you get very little results, I know I've done it before.

I think you should look at your case cooling rather than your cpu cooling.

^+1, A hyper tx3 can cool an OC'd i5 2500k. I3-2100's normally run really cool and efficiently, so you either dont have enough exhaust fans in your case, or you havn't installed the heatsink/thermal paste properly
November 24, 2011 8:13:19 PM

spentshells said:
In the bios see if you are able to increase the RPM.

I can change it manually. I have it running at 1000RPM all the time.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 9:24:43 PM

Crow when did you get the q6600 ?
a c 79 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 25, 2011 1:00:49 AM

^ got it given to me, but had too many problems with random shutdowns, dont think my 650i board likes it, but im getting a q8200 given to me with 750i motherboard, yay.
!