Frag Mortuus

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hey guys,

Im currently planning my new build which I hope to begin after the first of the year. With my wife and I expecting our first baby in May, we are trying to put as much money into savings as we can, but we don't want to live like a pauper either. My computer is about 5 years old and at the time it was about as high end as you could get, but now sadly, it is showing its age. When playing Dragon Age: Origins, I have to turn down all setting to low and the frame rate still becomes unbearable at times. Here is what Im running now:

Asus A8N-32-SLI Deluxe MoBo
2GB Corsair XMS RAM
2GB G.Skill RAM
AMD Athlon X2 4200 CPU Socket 939
Nvidia 9800GTX+
Zalman CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Xfinity 600W Titanium PSU.
2 250GB HDD
1 320GB HDD

I started out with 2 Nvidia 7800GTs running in SLI and a Dell 15" 1024x768 monitor I have now upgraded to 2 Acer 22" Monitors.

I know the problem is with my CPU. It is my main bottle neck, along with my DDR1 Ram. The GPU should be sufficient for most, if not all games, and my power supply is good.

I guess my main question is that my CPU Cooler would work on an AM2 socket so will it in turn work on an AM3 socket as well? I know you can drop an AM3 CPU into an AM2+ socket and it will work.

Im thinking about upgrading my MoBo, Ram, and CPU as well as getting a new case. Im going with AMD because of the preformance to money ratio, and using my old HDDs, Optical Drives, PSU and GPU, again to save money.

So do you think I can save my CPU Cooler?

Thanks!