internal Bluetooth card ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
May 20, 2004 4:11:46 AM

What are the brands of various Bluetooth internal mini PCI cards that are
available for most modern notebook computers ? I know that Dell sells some
variation of their "TrueMobil" wireless solution cards ... at the time of
purchase. But some makers do not offer Bluetooth at the time of purchase ...

Thanks !

-RS-
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 4:11:47 AM

"RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in news:6JSqc.536$gx1.87@clgrps12:

> What are the brands of various Bluetooth internal mini PCI cards that
> are available for most modern notebook computers ? I know that Dell
> sells some variation of their "TrueMobil" wireless solution cards ...
> at the time of purchase. But some makers do not offer Bluetooth at the
> time of purchase ...

AFAIK TrueMobile is Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth. Practically all Bluetooth
solutions (yes, even builtin) are USB-based. In case of builtin Bluetooth
it is a daughterboard (often combo with modem) on an internal USB
connector. So far I know of Ambicom brand only for builtin Bluetooth.

Now, it is possible that there is a variation of TrueMobile that is a Wi-
Fi/Bluetooth combo that I have not heard of...

Alexei
May 20, 2004 1:46:36 PM

Thanks,

The quote I had from Dell Canada for a notebook computer with both type "G"
wireless and Bluetooth, described those two features as follows:
***************************
Wireless / réseau sans fil:
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (802.11b/g) Internal Wireless (430-0916)

Misc / Divers: Bluetooth card
Dell,True Mobile 300,Internal Personal Wireless Card, Inspiron (430-0407)
***************************

Regards,

-Ron-

"Alexei Boukirev" <aboukirev@blah.ameritech.net> wrote in message
> "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in news:6JSqc.536$gx1.87@clgrps12:
>
> > What are the brands of various Bluetooth internal mini PCI cards that
> > are available for most modern notebook computers ? I know that Dell
> > sells some variation of their "TrueMobil" wireless solution cards ...
> > at the time of purchase. But some makers do not offer Bluetooth at the
> > time of purchase ...
>
> AFAIK TrueMobile is Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth. Practically all Bluetooth
> solutions (yes, even builtin) are USB-based. In case of builtin Bluetooth
> it is a daughterboard (often combo with modem) on an internal USB
> connector. So far I know of Ambicom brand only for builtin Bluetooth.
>
> Now, it is possible that there is a variation of TrueMobile that is a Wi-
> Fi/Bluetooth combo that I have not heard of...
>
> Alexei
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 1:46:37 PM

"RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in news:08%qc.831$gx1.230@clgrps12:

> Thanks,
>
> The quote I had from Dell Canada for a notebook computer with both
> type "G" wireless and Bluetooth, described those two features as
> follows: ***************************
> Wireless / réseau sans fil:
> Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (802.11b/g) Internal Wireless (430-0916)
>
> Misc / Divers: Bluetooth card
> Dell,True Mobile 300,Internal Personal Wireless Card, Inspiron
> (430-0407)
> ***************************
>
> Regards,
>
> -Ron-
>

> "Alexei Boukirev" <aboukirev@blah.ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in news:6JSqc.536$gx1.87@clgrps12:
>>
>> > What are the brands of various Bluetooth internal mini PCI cards
>> > that are available for most modern notebook computers ? I know that
>> > Dell sells some variation of their "TrueMobil" wireless solution
>> > cards ... at the time of purchase. But some makers do not offer
>> > Bluetooth at the time of purchase ...
>>
>> AFAIK TrueMobile is Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth. Practically all Bluetooth
>> solutions (yes, even builtin) are USB-based. In case of builtin
>> Bluetooth it is a daughterboard (often combo with modem) on an
>> internal USB connector. So far I know of Ambicom brand only for
>> builtin Bluetooth.
>>
>> Now, it is possible that there is a variation of TrueMobile that is a
>> Wi- Fi/Bluetooth combo that I have not heard of...
>>
>> Alexei

Most of references on Inet about TrueMobile 300 Bluetooth are regarding
CompactFlash card for PocketPC. But I was able to find out that there is
indeed internal daughtercard with the same designation that is put into
Latitude D line of Dell laptops.

This link about FreeBSD support for it clearly states that the card is
USB-based (as I predicted):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-Ap...

But there is not much information elsewhere.

Alexei
May 21, 2004 1:51:51 AM

Thanks, but as for my original quesion: Are there "a lot of" internal
Bluetooth cards out there ... or should one basically sort of base the
purchase of the notebook on the availability of Blutetooth as an option at
the time of purchase ?

-RS-

> "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in news:08%qc.831$gx1.230@clgrps12:
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > The quote I had from Dell Canada for a notebook computer with both
> > type "G" wireless and Bluetooth, described those two features as
> > follows: ***************************
> > Wireless / réseau sans fil:
> > Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (802.11b/g) Internal Wireless (430-0916)
> >
> > Misc / Divers: Bluetooth card
> > Dell,True Mobile 300,Internal Personal Wireless Card, Inspiron
> > (430-0407)
> > ***************************
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Ron-
> >

> > "Alexei Boukirev" <aboukirev@blah.ameritech.net> wrote in message

> >> AFAIK TrueMobile is Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth. Practically all Bluetooth
> >> solutions (yes, even builtin) are USB-based. In case of builtin
> >> Bluetooth it is a daughterboard (often combo with modem) on an
> >> internal USB connector. So far I know of Ambicom brand only for
> >> builtin Bluetooth.
> >>
> >> Now, it is possible that there is a variation of TrueMobile that is a
> >> Wi- Fi/Bluetooth combo that I have not heard of...
> >>
> >> Alexei
> >

> Most of references on Inet about TrueMobile 300 Bluetooth are regarding
> CompactFlash card for PocketPC. But I was able to find out that there is
> indeed internal daughtercard with the same designation that is put into
> Latitude D line of Dell laptops.
>
> This link about FreeBSD support for it clearly states that the card is
> USB-based (as I predicted):
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-Ap...
>
> But there is not much information elsewhere.
>
> Alexei
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 1:51:52 AM

"RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message
| Thanks, but as for my original quesion: Are there "a lot of" internal
| Bluetooth cards out there ... or should one basically sort of base the
| purchase of the notebook on the availability of Blutetooth as an option at
| the time of purchase ?

Buy whatever notebook you want with all the features you want, and add a
bluetooth USB device or card. Still, many do not include a bluetooth chipset
for whatever reason, but they can be added via card or USB for very little
money.
May 25, 2004 10:09:24 PM

Right, but these cards or USB doggles are external, right? I would prefer
an internal solution like the Dell one I quoted ..

Thanks !

-RS-

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks, but as for my original quesion: Are there "a lot of" internal
> | Bluetooth cards out there ... or should one basically sort of base the
> | purchase of the notebook on the availability of Blutetooth as an option
at
> | the time of purchase ?
> |

> Buy whatever notebook you want with all the features you want, and add a
> bluetooth USB device or card. Still, many do not include a bluetooth
chipset
> for whatever reason, but they can be added via card or USB for very little
> money.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 25, 2004 10:23:24 PM

"RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o ZLsc.17183$SQ2.4109@edtnps89...
| Right, but these cards or USB doggles are external, right? I would prefer
| an internal solution like the Dell one I quoted ..
|
| Thanks !

Or you can buy Bluetooth PCMCIA cards. They are then still technically
internal. The one on the Dell you quoted was likely a function of the
mini-PCI slot integrated with the wireless adapter. I also need bluetooth,
but I by no means based the decision on model based on the poor selection of
avaible internal "stock" internal bluetooth adapters, when I can buy one
for the PCMCIA slot for about $40.
!