Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Water Cooling + Air Cooling? (notice it's a + not a vs)

Last response: in Overclocking
November 23, 2011 5:25:33 PM

Sorry if there's already threads on this, but I had a hard time coming up with keywords that didn't pull up pages and pages of water cooling vs air cooling. I scanned through a couple how-to articles as well and didn't see much. So my quesition is if your PC is water cooled is at least some minor air-cooling required to cool anything not hooked up to the radiator? And even if that's not the case, will some good air throughput (like 4-5 120mm fans) give you even better cooling on top of the water cooling?
November 23, 2011 5:40:45 PM

well my case is cooler with water cooling + air cooling than with air cooling + air cooling :) 
Score

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 5:41:49 PM

PIZZA Man said:
Sorry if there's already threads on this, but I had a hard time coming up with keywords that didn't pull up pages and pages of water cooling vs air cooling. I scanned through a couple how-to articles as well and didn't see much. So my quesition is if your PC is water cooled is at least some minor air-cooling required to cool anything not hooked up to the radiator? And even if that's not the case, will some good air throughput (like 4-5 120mm fans) give you even better cooling on top of the water cooling?

Are you looking at the system being as cool as possible, silent as possible, somewhere in the middle or ??

You can always help out the water cooling system by cooling the air inside the case with fans. It all depends on what you have in the water loop. The chipset, memory, power supply, hard drives and other parts create heat that needs to be removed too. All of this can cause the internal temps to go up and make your water cooling loop work harder.
Related resources
November 23, 2011 5:47:52 PM

Alright thanks, just what I needed ahnilated. And thanks for the reply correon :) 
I was looking for the coolest solution (without getting into spot coolers).
Score
November 23, 2011 5:53:37 PM

I have automatic fanspeed control - which feels the temp of the fans output air....
Score
November 23, 2011 5:59:33 PM

and with SSD´s instead of "normal" HDD the temps is even lower :)  temp inside my case is 25 degrees in top of case :) 
Score
November 23, 2011 6:01:48 PM

Best answer selected by PIZZA Man.
Score
November 23, 2011 6:07:23 PM

correon said:
and with SSD´s instead of "normal" HDD the temps is even lower :)  temp inside my case is 25 degrees in top of case :) 

I think I'd be more concerned with the temps of the components rather than the top of my case.
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
November 23, 2011 7:32:30 PM

That was quick- the usual watercooling guys didn't even chime in.

You'll need case fans regardless- even if you run a water loop, other components still generate a decent amount of heat. Not everyone runs a completely internal water loop; actually most have radiators mounted outside...or at least 1 of 2, but not all. In the instances where you have internal radiators, you still need to get the warm air from the radiators, out of your case.
Score
November 23, 2011 10:02:11 PM

Thanks for the additional info rubix, even when the best answer had already selected. My questions have now been fully answered thanks to the addition of your post, I greatly appreciate it :) 
Score
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 29, 2011 8:20:01 AM

For air cooling I had originally opened up an air passage front to rear so direct airflow would be blowing into the CPUs air cooler, when I went to water cooling that same airflow was still needed to cool the voltage regulators and memory.

Removing the CPU air cooler which was supplying cooling for these components creates a new set of problems as you have to cool these components, I'm sharing this because I have found a fan that focus's the air directly out from the fan.

They have a demonstration at their website of how effective this fan is, I have one myself and it does exactly what it's advertised to do, replacing the fan I had in place with this one dropped the M/B temp by 4C, which has my M/B temp 2C above ambient room temp which is very good.

After considering adding a spot cooler to handle the VR area, with this fan in place the results speak for themselves, and you can feel the focused airflow with your hand if you compare this fan against a standard fan.
Score
!