ATI x800 Pro (AGP) vs. HD4650 (AGP)

Sal Manilla

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Howdy folks. Wow, what a great site for this type of thing. Was wondering, I have a ATI Radeon X800 Pro AGP at the moment and upgrading to a PCI-E is not an option. Not looking to buy a new computer and I don't play a ton of games other than sports titles. Am looking to get a little more bang for my buck or upgrade to one of the better AGP cards out there. I'm in no way a cutting edge guy and I definitely am not one of those guys that always needs the latest and greatest. Question is, I thought I saw somewhere that going to the ATI HD4650 AGP card would be a pretty big step up compared to my current card. Wondering if that is indeed true? I know AGP's are dying or dead already but one of the sites I looked at had the HD4650 at a pretty reasonable price.

Current setup is XP Home SP3 with all updates, P4 with 2.0 gb RAM, AMD Athlon XP2400+ 2.0 ghz processor.

Thanks in advance for any help. Really glad I found this awesome site!

Solution
A 4650 would be a huge step up and doesnt need any extra power connectors, it wont generate a ton of heat or use much power at all. It would definitely be an improvement for you.

Sal Manilla

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

Hunter. I looked at that hierarchy chart you posted and I noticed that the HD4650 DDR2 in that link is only 3 lines (levels?) above my X800 Pro 256mb rather than 9 like you mentioned. Will that still be a noticeable difference? Or would that be too close to notice much? Thanks again!

Sal Manilla

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I don't use DDR3 RAM though. WOuld I need to buy that kind? Just went to Crucial.com and ran a scan and it said Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*. I have 2 gb now. Would I need to upgrade to DDR3 ram to use that card? Looks like my PC can't take it. Starting to feel like I'm missing something here. Not the most tech savy person out there. I do know how to replace RAM though. Also noticed that DDR3 card at Newegg that you posted is 512mb. Does it mean it's not as good as the 1 gb DDR2 card I posted originally? Thanks again. Learning as we go here.

The memory on a video card has nothing to do with your system's RAM. It's built into the card.
As I already said the DDR3 version is substantially better and the difference in amount of memory will have no effect at all. The card isn't anywhere near powerful enough to use more than 512mb effectively. 1gb of memory on low end cards is a pointless marketing gimmick targeted at people who don't know any better.