Power outage caused computer to not turn on now

G

had a power outage and the computer was on at the time power is back on but computer will not turn on checked power surge everything else works screen and printer

no PSU needs resetting - all it is is unplug, and plug back in, any issues causing the psu to shut off get reset after under a minute - power outage would have been sufficent for that reset, if it is a faulty PSU (99% of the time) use another one to test your rig.

Also note power outages usually have a surge or brown out before it actually goes out causing PSU's and other devices to overcompensate the lack of power from the wall, then as the power goes back to normal overload damaging the PSU etc.

What brand was your PSU out of interest?

Odds are that it is the PSU. But something on the motherboard could have fried.

Time for more troubleshooting.

Disconnect all the drive power and data cables. Remove the video card, memory, and any cards plugged into motherboard. Unplug the keyboard and mouse. You should have only the PSU, CPU & HSF, and the case connections plugged in.

Turn on the computer. You should hear a series of long single beeps (or whatever the pattern is for bad memory. If you do, one of the parts you removed is bad.

If you get silence, either the PSU, motherboard, or CPU is bad. And of these three, the PSU is most likely. But the only way to know for sure is by substituting known good parts.

I have a Enermax liberty 500watt psu that you have to do that to after every power outage. It is its internal surge protection.

It is best to have a good, affordable uninteruptable power supply. I have a friend who lived in the country in an area famous for electrical problems. He fried many components and I had to go to his house to find and fix every issue.

He also blew three big screen monitors.

After every problem I kept telling him to purchase a UPS, however, he was bull headed and a penny pincher and refused to get one. In the end he spent much more money and aggrivation [me having to baby sit his repairs].

Look at APC. You can find them at www.apc.com and at many stores, such as Office Depot or online sites such as www.newegg.com.

I currently use use an APC Back-UPS model XS 1300, however, you can get the same unit without a digital read-out for less money. It has saved my computer or components many times over.

My unit provides $150,000 Lifetime Equipment protection policy, so, I plug everything into it, including the monitor.

We have a great many brown outs where I live due to the local grid system an large power hungry factories.

antec_rep

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
It's quite possible that the power supply is at fault in this case. Without reply from the OP it's impossible to say, but many PSUs (including Antec's) include Over Current Protection, Over Voltage Protection, etc that can save your PSU and the rest of your system from damage from power surges, etc. Just reset the fault and then you're good to go. ;)

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Add to that list something that few discuss - the power supply controller. It contains a safety lockout circuit. That and the other safety features are reset by disconnecting the power cord for at least two seconds. The entire power supply 'system' (that is more than just a power supply) must be completely disconnected to reset.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
had a power outage and the computer was on at the time power is back on but computer will not turn on checked power surge everything else works screen and printer
Thats why I tell people, when spend hundreds of dollars on a computer...whats another 20-30 dollars on a UPS, which is almost garenteed to protect your computer from surges and hard shut-downs as a result of power loss. If you had one it could have saved your PSU and any components that fried along with it.

TRENDING THREADS