Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radiator for i5-750 & HD 5850

Last response: in Overclocking
November 23, 2011 8:15:01 PM

I decided to WC my equip which is as follows -

i5 750 (OC to 3.5-4GHz)
Sapphire HD 5850 (not a reference design)
Lancool K62

i have more or less decided my setup -
Swiftech Apogee HD
XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir for Laing D5
Swiftech MCP655 w/o speed control
5850 full cover waterblock (this is the only compatible waterblock available)

what i'm unable to decide is the radiator to choose. I want to install it inside the cabinet. can mod it if required. the options i have narrowed down to -

option 1
a single Black Ice GTS280 mounted at the top.

option 2
a single Black Ice GT Xtreme 280 mounted at the top.

option 3
a Black Ice GT Stealth 280 mounted at the top and
a Black Ice GT Stealth 120 mounted at the back.

will option1/2 be sufficient to cool both of them?
any other recommendations are welcome.

i plan to use the stock fans available -
top - 2 x 140mm fans - 1000rpm
back - 1 x 120mm fan - 1500rpm
i'm not sure about their specifications but can change them if required.

the reason for water cooling is performance. Noise i can live with. Actually I'm in INDIA and the ambient temps are around 35 deg C :sweat:  . Temps on my core touch 90 and on gpu 70+ under heavy load at stock speeds with stock fans :(  .

any help is appreciated. thanks!

More about : radiator 750 5850

November 24, 2011 8:00:09 PM

the pros out there please help me!!
m
l
November 24, 2011 11:45:43 PM

Your links are broken.
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 3:07:26 PM

which ones?!?! i can open them all.. :|
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
November 26, 2011 3:03:34 PM

What's with the Black Ice stuff? Unless it's SR2, you really aren't getting price/performance benefits. There are cheaper, better performing rads out there than these BIX's. Look at XSPC, EK, Magicool, Swiftech to name a few. Is there a reason you chose only BIX rads?
m
l
November 26, 2011 3:21:34 PM

the only reason for going with a BI GTStealth was their thinner size so i can accommodate them inside my cabinet without modding it.

pls suggest. open to everything.. :) 
m
l
November 26, 2011 3:52:41 PM

XSPC has very thin radiators, you could try to look at some of theirs.
Anyway

Since the Lancool has one 120mm Fan and Three 140mm Fan mounts, I'd say take a 140mm Radiator and stick it in the front as intake. Take a 280mm Radiator and put it as intake on the top, and a good performance fan as the exhaust on the back. (Gentle Typhoons, Deltas (On a controller), Noiseblockers, etc. )
m
l
November 26, 2011 5:44:56 PM

XSPC doesnot have 140mm rads :( 
other options i have are EK and Magicool.

the front fan has hdd rack right behind it. moving it will require proper planning. plus tubing might be difficult esp with 1/2" tube. possible solution is to shift the hdds to 5.25" bays but then i wont be able to use the XSPC reservoir.

also, if i make the top fans as intake, 3 issues-
1. my cabinet is located in such a way that if i do this, d air which is thrown out back will be sucked in by the top fan - not good.
2. this ll make my cabinet positive pressure (more i/p than o/p) which ll lead to more accumulation of dust and trust me, there's already loads of dust that i have to cope up with - not good again.
3. restricts natural flow of air - hot air rises
m
l
November 26, 2011 5:52:53 PM

Quote:
What's with the Black Ice stuff? Unless it's SR2, you really aren't getting price/performance benefits. There are cheaper, better performing rads out there than these BIX's. Look at XSPC, EK, Magicool, Swiftech to name a few. Is there a reason you chose only BIX rads?

U mean SR1 right? at least that's the product listed on their website.
but will one 280mm rad be enough for both of them?
m
l
November 26, 2011 6:24:44 PM

just checked the rad design specs, only BI 280mm rads can fit at top. EK, Magicool holes don't match. space between 2 fans should be 20mm..
guess that pretty much narrows down my selection...
m
l
November 26, 2011 7:41:07 PM

also a minor note, thinking about changing CPU block to XSPC Raystorm cheaper, lower restriction. what say?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
November 26, 2011 7:43:08 PM

Yeah, SR1...not sure why I typed SR2...Sorry!

Sounds like you did the research you needed for your case. This is what watercooling is all about- finding out what you need for your specific loop and narrowing down the components that meet those needs into the one you want. Nice work.

Raystorm is an excellent block for the price. Very good flowing and good performance. For the price, it really is hard to beat.
m
l
November 26, 2011 7:55:23 PM

but still not decided on radiator :|
not sure if one 280mm is enough fr both of them..

alt: i can mod my case side panel to mount 2x2 rad there.. but that means no glass panel to show off the stuff inside.. not the best idea.. :( 
m
l

Best solution

a c 330 K Overclocking
November 26, 2011 8:02:10 PM

5850 has a TDP around 160-175 watts. An i5 is around 95-100 watts at stock speeds. A 2x140 rad would be enough depending on the actual watts produced by your i5 at OC speeds. Either way, a 2x140mm rad is very similar in size to a 3x120mm rad of the same thickness; which are good for around 525-550 watts depending on brand and model.
November 27, 2011 3:48:52 AM

That should suit your system fairly well. I'm not sure if it could take extreme OC's but it should keep everything cool.
m
l
November 27, 2011 9:30:19 AM

Best answer selected by strongdc.
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:29:38 AM

I have a i5 750 water cooled using a heater core it is 240mm X 150mm and it can keep the i5 running at 4.3 Ghz @ 3*C above ambient temp but as soon as I tried to cool the GTX 7900 ( 2 5850's out for RMA so I though I would experiment). I tried to cool a old GTX 7900 with the set up I used to just cool the i5 and as soon as I started playing BF2 the temps started to rise into the 80's so I would have to say no on the duel cooling with that set up. I also been liquid cooling since the late 90's and my X 79 set up has one 240 duel core , one 280 triple core and one 360 triple core radiators and two D5 Laing ( swiftech 655) pumps cooling a 3960X@5 Ghz and two EVGA 570 Classifed's@ 1003/4000. That machine with run 3*C above ambient temp so long as I leep the room temp 28*C or below at 30*C the temps rise to 5*C above ambient at 35*C I am sure it would run between 10*Cand 15*C above ambient temp if not more. If i was you I would be looking into a TEC cooler along with that setup you have now that will keep your machine cool but put the video card before the CPU a good TEC will run 60*C below yourwater temp baybe a little less with the ambiet being so high. I comp under the heavis load never reaches your ambient. Good luck and check out the TEC you can run it off a sepert computer PSU and use at least a 226W or 245 W TEC you will need it.
m
l
December 12, 2011 3:45:32 AM

so you are suggesting that i use a TEC with the watercooling? but that would still require an increase in the radiator, right?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 12, 2011 1:00:23 PM

Adding TEC to your loop usually means you need to adjust your radiator needs based on the capacity of the TEC's in question. They run 100% at all times, so if you have a 130w TEC, it's going to dump 130watts into your loop as pure heat. TEC's also need a pretty good second power supply, so consider that as well.

It sounds like you might want to go with watercooling first and address other cooling options later as these are concepts you aren't quite comfortable with yet.

Quote:
I have a i5 750 water cooled using a heater core it is 240mm X 150mm and it can keep the i5 running at 4.3 Ghz @ 3*C above ambient temp but as soon as I tried to cool the GTX 7900 ( 2 5850's out for RMA so I though I would experiment). I tried to cool a old GTX 7900 with the set up I used to just cool the i5 and as soon as I started playing BF2 the temps started to rise into the 80's so I would have to say no on the duel cooling with that set up

That doesn't sound right...you shouldn't see temps in the 80's unless it was 80's Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.
m
l
December 12, 2011 1:20:47 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Adding TEC to your loop usually means you need to adjust your radiator needs based on the capacity of the TEC's in question. They run 100% at all times, so if you have a 130w TEC, it's going to dump 130watts into your loop as pure heat. TEC's also need a pretty good second power supply, so consider that as well.

It sounds like you might want to go with watercooling first and address other cooling options later as these are concepts you aren't quite comfortable with yet.

i have been doing my research for quite some time now and i really doubt that a tec is necessary. a 2x140mm rad is by no means small.

i'm going ahead with what i had decided earlier only. in case temps dont get under control, then i ll upgrade my fans n den add another rad.
m
l
December 12, 2011 1:23:59 PM

btw... hv worked with TECs in my chemical engg lab. with these guys u need to make sure that you remove all the heat they throw at you or things can get nasty..
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
December 12, 2011 1:29:36 PM

Right, when using TECs in a watercooling loop, cold side goes on the chip, hot side gets a water block. You used to find some water blocks with TECs built in, but not as much anymore. They aren't really necessary, but if you want temps like that, you really should start looking at other solutions, anyway.
m
l
!