Sign in with
Your question

System Won't start?

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2009 5:29:40 PM

I have a system that I built at home a couple of years ago that all of a sudden stopped working and won't start?

I'm pretty sure that this happened when I shut it off, let it sit for a few minutes, then tried to restart it and it didn't start? This happened a few times in the past, but if I would go through the wiring to make sure that everything was seated correctly it would then start. Basically the same thing happend this time, but it just won't start?

I've gone through the wiring several times and everything is connected correctly and it's tight so I'm at a loss as to how to fix this? BTW When I push the button on the back of the PSU I can hear a click and the PWR Light on the Mobo does go on/off as I push the button on the PSU.

My System:

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI
Thermaltake Shark Case
2 WD STATA II Hd's
2 Corsair XMS2 2X 1 GB Ram
and a EVGA Video Card

I'm pretty good at building systems ( with the help of people in here of course), I just don't know what to do about this now? No idea if this is the powere supply not giving out enough juice, a short somewhere or a bad piece of hardware?

Thanks in advance for the help.
BTW: Im disabled so I don't have a ton of $$, so the easiest, cheepes tway out of this would be great!

More about : system start

a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2009 5:52:31 PM

the guide will detail every possibility, though from the sound of it, I think your PSU can no longer output enough current for your system. A possible test for this would be to unplug everything not vital to bootup, CDROM, fans, extra hard drives, USB devices, and try to boot that way. If it does, you need to reduce your load, or increase your current by buying a PSU.
Related resources
September 9, 2009 6:41:33 PM

wathman said:
the guide will detail every possibility, though from the sound of it, I think your PSU can no longer output enough current for your system. A possible test for this would be to unplug everything not vital to bootup, CDROM, fans, extra hard drives, USB devices, and try to boot that way. If it does, you need to reduce your load, or increase your current by buying a PSU.

Thanks, I went to the PC Power & Cooling site and they said to unplug everything except 2 hd's and then junp the green and balck wires on the 20 pin Mobo power cable, they say if the fan turns it's probably not the PSU? Id did this and the fans on the PC did turn, the blue lights in the case came on to. I then broke out the multimeter (it's been over 20 years since I used one), read how to do a continuity test and rant hat on the on/off switch in the case. tested fine. I then went through again and unplugged all the wires again and this time I made sure to run each one on to a different cable that run directly to the PSU, again no start?

Guess it's time to unhook one thing at a time to see if it will boot, (just like you said). I'lll be back with the resullts.
September 9, 2009 7:11:09 PM

OK, I went back to the PC and removed one thing at a time and the damn thing still didn't start? i then reconnected everything and tried again, still nothing. Then I shut the power off and disconnected the 20 pin motherboard cable and inserted the paperclip in between the green and black wires, the pc lights came on, the HDD's started to spin up and the fans in the case, cpu and PSU started the spin. I reconnected the cable and nothing?

At this point I', thinking I have a bad motherboard? Before I do anything I just want to make sure that you guys agree with me or not? Is there anything else I can do to know for sure if it's the motherboard or not? I don't have another motherboard and at this point Im not even sure if it's under warranty or not?

Thanks for your help!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2009 7:22:32 PM

If you go through every step in the checklist linked above it should help you find the faulty component. You need to eliminate other hardware like the RAM before concluding that the motherboard is faulty. The checklist has steps to help you determine if the RAM is faulty.

The checklist is a collection of troubleshooting ideas from many forum members. It was created to help troubleshoot problems exactly like you're experiencing.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2009 7:22:35 PM

Do you know anyone with a desktop computer that's working? You could take your PSU, temporarily hook in your PSU cables, and see if it boots. Unless you're trying this on a very high end system with multiple graphics cards, your PSU should be able to power it. If it does, your PSU is fine, and you are most likely dealing with a bad motherboard.

Some other things to look for: if you see any bulging capacitors, or any scorch marks on your board, you may as well start shopping for a new one.

As for following the guide, I'd make sure to try each of those suggestions as well. Since this is a formerly working build with a new problem, I'm thinking more along the lines of failure rather than incorrect build. From a monetary standpoint though, it makes much more sense to exhaust all possibilities before jumping to motherboard replacement.
September 9, 2009 8:27:54 PM

OK so I went through that list and the damn thing still won't start, I even took out and reseated my video and my sound card along with both stick os ram (one at a time) and the damn thing is sitting there looking at me but doing nothing?

That and the fact that it will try to boot up when I remove the 20 pin mobo connector and then jump the grn and blck wires has me in the direction of the mobo.

As I was writing this I remembered that when I first built the system it wouldn't start up (just like now) and I thought it was the PSU because I did an swap with newegg and the system ran after that? Maybe it wasnt the PSU all the way back then and it was the motherboard?

Either way it ran fine after I got the new PSU up until a year or so agao but I could get the thing to start by shutting it off and then going through and making sure all the wires were seated. Maybe that just allowed the Mobo to cool off enough so it started? Now after the last time I shut it off and tried to restart it, it never came back?

At this point I have no idea what to do, I sent in an RMA request at Asus but my warranty ran out on the 7th (figures).

Anyone have a good low cost replacement for my motherboard? I really don't need anything with all the bells and whistles that the M2N32-sli deluxe has, just something reliable that I can then pop my parts in to and have it run good enough to play online games like SWG and Vanguard.

Again thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2009 8:42:16 PM

Well, anything other than an exact replacement to your Asus board is going to require a reinstall of the OS. If you haven't tried it already, completely remove your motherboard from the case and run it on top of a cardboard box, or anything non-conductive. If it still doesn't boot, I'd say you've made pretty well certain it's dead. As for replacements, There's a number of perfectly fine chipsets out there that will do what you need for a 775 socket processor. Just get which ever appeals the most to your budget, and comes from a good brand like Asus, Gigabyte, or EVGA. Also, don't exclude some micro-atx boards from the list since you are concerned about price. Micro-atx boards will give you fewer features, but a better price.
September 9, 2009 9:09:09 PM

Actually I think it's a different socket than that? Isn't that for Intel and not AMD? Sorry if Im wrong but? The CPU is an AMD 4000, I thought it was an x2?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2009 1:11:07 PM

oh, well you didn't mention the processor type in your original post, and I don't know the model number of every single Asus board, so I just assumed it was a 775. Even if it's an AMD board, unless you use an exact replacement, you'll have to reinstall your OS. There's plenty of replacement boards you can choose from, I'm pretty sure you could even find a nicely priced AM3 board and it should still be compatible with your board. I'm not an AMD expert though so hopefully someone can confirm.. or just start looking at spec sheets for various boards.
!