AMD Built (Please Help)

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I have decided to build a High-end 955 BE game systems instead of the i7. Please help with improving the system. If you see some possible upgrades for gaming please feel free to help. Current specs

COOLER MASTER UCP RS900-AAAAA3 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS Crosshair III Formula AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

SAMSUNG F1 RAID Class HE753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 (Crossfire setup maybe)

I will be playing on a 1080p 52 Samsung 120hz HDTV.

It is nice to see that you are supporting AMD...
But the main reason why everyone would suggest the P II over the i7 is the cost factor as you can get similar gaming performance for less...But looking at the parts that you have chosen, I would switch back to the i7 build itself as it wouldn't cost much more and is better suited for SLI/ Crossfire configuration...
So choose your components wisely...

And spending on 2 HD 4890s at this point of time is not correct...Reason - By next month ATI will be launching their DirectX 11 cards...So maybe for now, just stick with 1 HD 4890 and later on upgrade to the next gen cards...

You wont require 900W PSU for that setup...The Corsair 750TX is more than suffice to handle any dual card setup...

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I ordered my system yesterday. Is there any extra cables or ext. cables I would need to assemble this computer at my house. I am rather new to scene but any help would be awesome. My roommate is an IT tech so hopefully we don't run into any problems with uploading the drivers. Any tips or information on additional hardware needed for a home install would be super helpful. Thanks again!

^ You might need an 8-pin extender as the PSU would be bottom mounted, they might be a tight fit on the socket...
Make sure you have a antistatic strap strapped on...
And google is your friend...http://www.google.com/search?q=basics+of+computer+building&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBF_en

And you get many youtube videos to help you out...

And if you have any boot problems, this thread should help you out...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

Good luck... :)

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I have static straps ^^... I just got the artic 5 thermal compound. Can anyone give me a clue how much to use for amd Phen II x4 955 BE with a Dark Knight Cooler. This is the only part I am worried about since it can really mess up your system if you put too much on. Why would I need a 8 pin ext. cable for my PSU? I am still really new to the scene so any information on any extra cables I need would be awesome. I would like to have it running the same day I get the parts in.