I have a quick question regarding my recently overheated PSU. A week ago I started to notice a burning smell coming from the back of PC and within 30 mins my PC shut itself off immediately. When I pressed the power button to try and turn it back on, nothing. I slid the side of my tower open and removed the PSU and smelled the fan and vent and it had burnt out.
Yesterday I replaced the PSU, connected it all back up as original and turned my PC up and all the fans in my machine including the graphics card fan were spinning but no picture on the monitor. The graphics does require it's own power source from the PSU which it has and everything has been wired exactly as before the melted PSU failed me but I cannot get a picture on my monitor.
My question to you guys is this, is it possible that the old PSU (which was a very cheap & basic 500w) has damaged my graphics card as I have turned the PC on without the memory sticks in the motherboard and have received ''beeps'' which hopefully has ruled out a fried motherboard.
So would you say that as I am unable to start the computer without beeps if the memory is removed that the motherboard is ok & with the memory installed the beeps stop but no picture on screen would be due to a faulty / fried graphics card becasue of the melted psu. Just want to make sure as I don't have a spare graphics card and will have to replace so want to make sure this is the most likely cause
IF you have nothing but the CPU and Heatsink , and try to power up it should beep like mad , what i understand from your previous post is that this is the case.So my assumption is the graphics card could be toast , but i can't say for sure.See if you still got a warranty with your graphics card and see if you can get it replaced , or jus upgrade to a ati 4850 or nvidia 250 gt.Hopefully this helps
Thank you...I have done some more fiddling around with the machine and being a bit of a novice have been given some info which I would pass on to the forum.
-When I start up the PC without any of the memory sticks in I get a constant beeping sound.
-The PC will start up with one or both of the memory sticks in without any beeping
-When I try and put the graphics card in there is no beeping but also there is no display on the monitor
-The HDD light doesn't flicker on start up but just stays a constant yellow colour
-My mobo has integrated graphics and I have removed my graphics card in plugged the monitor into the mobo but on first try i got a white and grey flashing screen so I turned off and on and now am just getting a blank screen as i was with my graphics card