Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer wont boot ( New Build ) Motherboard LED is on!

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2009 9:56:03 PM

I have just gotten my self a new computer which will be used for photo/film editing, but after the installation was complete ( or so I thought ) the computer wouldn't boot, but the motherboard LED was on, which told me that there were some kind of power going through the motherboard.

There are no noise/beeps coming from either one of the fans nor the system speaker. The PSU fan isn't starting either. Just the annoying motherboard LED keeps being lit.

The specs of the computer are as following:

Motherbard - ASUS P5Q3
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 ( This is the only item which is from my old computer, which was running fine in the old computer )
RAM - 2* Kingston DDR3-1333, 2048MB, CAS 9 ( Placed in the orange slots, which the mobo manual recomended )
GPU - ASUS EN9600GT/DI/1GD3 ( Stock Cooler )
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake ISGC-400 Quite Cooler
PSU - ThermalTake ToughPower 750W - SLI
HDD - 2* Matrox 400Gb 16mb buffer, 7200rpm ( 1 is connected through the IDE and 1 is connected through a SATA port )
DVD - Samsung DVD Writer Model SH-S2223
Case - NorthQ NQ2210BLK, Black

List of steps which I've done so far:
1. Reseatet all power cables 2 times, 24pin mobo, 8pin mobo all power cords for the HDD and DVD drives. ( There are no power cords needed on the GPU, which I think is odd but true. ) - No change
2. Disconnected all the drives ( HDD's, DVD) - No change
3. Checked for shortage in the Front Panel power button - No change
4. Reseatet the CPU, and coatet with new thermic paste - No change
5. Reseatet the front panel power cords on the motherboard - No change

Any suggestions, help or ideas would be much appreciated. And thx for helping in advance.
a c 77 V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 10:04:55 PM

Going through EVERY step in this checklist is the best way to troubleshoot problems like yours. The steps in the checklist are a compilation of troubleshooting ideas from multiple forum members. Chances are very good that you'll find your problem if you perform every step in the checklist.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
m
l
September 9, 2009 10:08:46 PM

I forgot to mention it but, I've already gone through that post your refering to, none of the steps on the list made any change to my computers state of problem...
m
l
Related resources
a c 77 V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 10:39:04 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure you went through EVERY step in the checklist? The majority of the people that come here for help SAY they went through the checklist. When it comes down to it, the solution to their problem was in the checklist all along. They just skipped over that step.

If you really did go through every step in the checklist, you're most likely looking at DOA hardware. Do you have a system speaker installed? A lot of new motherboards and cases don't come with one. Step 15 has a link to where you can get one. Did you perform the breadboarding step to eliminate a short? The fact that your PSU fan doesn't start may indicate your PSU is faulty. Even a faulty PSU can often muster enough power to light up a little LED. :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 11:07:09 PM

Unfortunately, what shortstuff says is often true.

If after breadboarding (eliminates case shorts, etc) there is no change, the odds are its mobo or psu. But it could still be something else.

If you have a different psu, by all means plug it in and see what happens.
m
l
September 10, 2009 7:16:04 PM

Problem has been solved... I made a mistake when installing the motherboard, my screwdriver had caused some damage to the board, which caused the problems....
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2009 7:38:43 PM

Sorry to hear that, but glad you found it.
September 10, 2009 7:54:06 PM

I had one client who didn't use motherboard stand offs.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2009 8:12:58 PM

Yes.

And all too often, "I went over the installation again and again" just means "I repeated the same mistake over and over again",
m
l
September 11, 2009 12:28:36 PM

Im trying to figure out if there are any screwdrivers that has some sort of rubber on the pointy end, so if it slips again it wont dmg anything...
m
l
September 11, 2009 2:30:22 PM

masterasia said:
I had one client who didn't use motherboard stand offs.

:)  What are those? Honestly.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2009 1:15:59 AM

First reseat your memory sticks. Then if that don't work, try one and then the other. Although, if it's that new, there should be no problems with your memory but won't hurt to try.
m
l
!