OS disc when switching Harddrives?

check00

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hello,
I salvaged an old harddrive from my previous desktop to keep using in my new rig. Windows 7 Home had no problem with the new rig and everything works smoothly after installing the new parts' drivers.

Now, I've bought a Windows 7 Pro upgrade CD, but now I'm hesitant to upgrade this old harddrive. I will most likely buy a new hdd or ssd in a couple months.

So, my questions are: If I upgrade this old hdd to W7 Pro, will I need to buy another disc when I switch hard drives? Also, does cloning the old drive with Norton Ghost solve this problem?

I don't really want to clone the drive though, since there's a lot of excess clutter I would rather not want on the new drive (especially if its a ssd).

Can I upgrade now without much trouble or should I wait for the new hard drive before upgrading?

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
your windows 7 upgrade cd will only work on a hard drive that have either a compatible vista or lower version of 7 on it. so a new hard drive would not be usable. you should purchase a full copy of win 7 pro retail

TRENDING THREADS