Lenovo SSD in my desktop

ina_12

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hello,

A friend of mine was throwing away his laptop, so i grabbed this ssd since it had no problems.

My question is whether it would be a good idea that i use this ssd in my desktop. Are there any pitfalls?

It's a Lenovo ssd THNS 128gb sata 3.0gbps

my current hdd is 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s, which i might turn into a storage hdd..

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

There really aren't any pitfalls as long as you know it has not had any problems.
The only drawback is how to manage your programs and data from the 1000 GB HDD to 1/10 the size.

One way would be to cleanly install Windows on the SSD, then install the programs you wanted, utilities you liked, and continue to use the HDD for data storage and backup. That way you would not have the problem of how to move your data all to the front of the HDD, in a space that no bigger than the 128GB drive.

You could image backUp your HDD, then restore it over to the SSD, but a clean install is better. Especially if you try it out for a short time and find problems, you would still have your 1TB drive to put back as the boot drive and you would be back in business.