Help! CPU Won't turn on!

BoostinFC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hey guys, my roomate has a Gateway 840GM, which has a blue LED front power switch. He turned his computer off while away for thnaksgiving, and now the computer won't turn on. The switch turns on the fans / spins up the hard drive, but the blue LED on the switch does not light up, and at the same time there is nothing on the monitor (nothing at all, says check signal), fans are defaulted to MAX speed. This has happened once before, and all he did was unplug it for an hour and plug it in and it worked fine. We unplugged all drives, accesories, PCI cards, and memory to no avail. Tried a different PSU, same thing. Only thing that is the same is the mobo and the PCU, and the power switch. Any ideas?? Thank you!

BoostinFC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I had already gone through the troubleshooting thread and even gateways list and something wasn't adding up. After re-visiting each of my own steps, I realized when I swapped in my known-good power supply the first time, I had forgotten to plug in the extra 4-pin connector, even though I somehow remembered to plug it back in for the origional PSU. Duh. :sleep: Got an under-powered PSU swapped in for now, waiting for somethin to blow untill he buys a new one lol. Well, what can ya do. Thanks for the responses.