Strange happenings

This is off topic but at the moment, I can't get anywhere so I need some
help.
I've tried going to different sites and all of a sudden, the window
shows where I would sign in at
yahoo mail. I have the Yahoo toolbar and the mail part of it has a black
x which is odd and never has been before.
I ran one of my antispyware programs and it came out clean but something
is going on. I'm not going to sign in to
yahoo because I think it is a hoax page trying to get my identity. What
do you think? I've never had this to happen
before.
The only places I've been today on the internet is MTS2 and TSR and a
weather site.

Has this happened to anybody else today?

Thanks for any replies........Joy

Sounds like it might indeed be a browser highjacker. You said you ran
spyware removal? Did you try a virus scan as well?
If both come up clean, see if you can find and download a file called
BHO Demon, it lets you disable brower highjackers. Mind you, it doesn't
remove them, but at least you can disable them

Sounds like it might indeed be a browser highjacker. You said you ran
spyware removal? Did you try a virus scan as well?
If both come up clean, see if you can find and download a file called
BHO Demon, it lets you disable brower highjackers. Mind you, it doesn't
remove them, but at least you can disable them

Just now, I tried going to google, I see the google page, then it goes
directly to the
sign in page at Yahoo mail. Hope I'm getting this across. LOL

Help........Joy

"joyplayer" <excuseme@nomail.com> wrote in

> This is off topic but at the moment, I can't get anywhere so I
> need some help.
> I've tried going to different sites and all of a sudden, the
> window shows where I would sign in at
> yahoo mail. I have the Yahoo toolbar and the mail part of it has a
> black x which is odd and never has been before.
> I ran one of my antispyware programs and it came out clean but
> something is going on. I'm not going to sign in to
> yahoo because I think it is a hoax page trying to get my identity.
> What do you think? I've never had this to happen
> before.
> The only places I've been today on the internet is MTS2 and TSR
> and a weather site.
>
> Has this happened to anybody else today?

Yahoo requires you to accept cookies. If you've recently cleaned out
your cookies, you'd have to sign in again. If you haven't
/intentionally/ cleaned your cookies, perhaps you ran a generic
clean-up program that deleted them? Cookie clean-up is a default on
just about every type of drive clean up program.

--
Mike
The dogmatist within is always worse than the enemy without.

"Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
> "joyplayer" <excuseme@nomail.com> wrote in
>
>> This is off topic but at the moment, I can't get anywhere so I
>> need some help.
>> I've tried going to different sites and all of a sudden, the
>> window shows where I would sign in at
>> yahoo mail. I have the Yahoo toolbar and the mail part of it has a
>> black x which is odd and never has been before.
>> I ran one of my antispyware programs and it came out clean but
>> something is going on. I'm not going to sign in to
>> yahoo because I think it is a hoax page trying to get my identity.
>> What do you think? I've never had this to happen
>> before.
>> The only places I've been today on the internet is MTS2 and TSR
>> and a weather site.
>>
>> Has this happened to anybody else today?
>>
> Yahoo requires you to accept cookies. If you've recently cleaned out
> your cookies, you'd have to sign in again. If you haven't
> /intentionally/ cleaned your cookies, perhaps you ran a generic
> clean-up program that deleted them? Cookie clean-up is a default on
> just about every type of drive clean up program.
>
> --
> Mike
> The dogmatist within is always worse than the enemy without.
> - S.J. Gould

No no Mike, that's not what I'm talking about. I don't want to go to
yahoo and sign in.
I try going to MTS2 or other websites, after they load up, then it seems
I'm redirected to the sign in
page at yahoo mail. NOT yahoo, but just the mail part. This is strange,
never happened to me before.
Hope you're getting the picture now. I appreciate your reply though.

> "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
>> "joyplayer" <excuseme@nomail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> This is off topic but at the moment, I can't get anywhere so I
>>> need some help.
>>> I've tried going to different sites and all of a sudden, the
>>> window shows where I would sign in at
>>> yahoo mail. I have the Yahoo toolbar and the mail part of it has
>>> a black x which is odd and never has been before.
>>> I ran one of my antispyware programs and it came out clean but
>>> something is going on. I'm not going to sign in to
>>> yahoo because I think it is a hoax page trying to get my
>>> identity. What do you think? I've never had this to happen
>>> before.
>>> The only places I've been today on the internet is MTS2 and TSR
>>> and a weather site.
>>>
>>> Has this happened to anybody else today?
>>>
>> Yahoo requires you to accept cookies. If you've recently cleaned
>> out your cookies, you'd have to sign in again. If you haven't
>> /intentionally/ cleaned your cookies, perhaps you ran a generic
>> clean-up program that deleted them? Cookie clean-up is a default
>> on just about every type of drive clean up program.
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>> The dogmatist within is always worse than the enemy without.
>> - S.J. Gould
>>
> No no Mike, that's not what I'm talking about. I don't want to go
> to yahoo and sign in.
> I try going to MTS2 or other websites, after they load up, then it
> seems I'm redirected to the sign in
> page at yahoo mail. NOT yahoo, but just the mail part. This is
> strange, never happened to me before.
> Hope you're getting the picture now. I appreciate your reply
> though.

I see someone else has indicated that it appears you have a browser
hijacker. Run your av program and if nothing turns up, go here and
follow the instructions:

Mike
The Truth is realized in an instant; the Act is practiced step by step.
-Zen saying

Thanks Mike, I did manage to get to Trend Housecall last night and run a
complete scan which came out clean.
I have the latest Norton AV program but Housecall always has found
stuff Norton doesn't. This morning,
though, I tried going to my weather site, google, and a couple sims
sites and again the yahoo sign in page popped
up. I'll try the link you posted. Again, I sure appreciate your help.

Like I said in another post, I have the Yahoo toolbar. I'm going to
delete it, see if it might help.

Joy

"Emrysia" <ethorick@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like it might indeed be a browser highjacker. You said you ran
> spyware removal? Did you try a virus scan as well?
> If both come up clean, see if you can find and download a file called
> BHO Demon, it lets you disable brower highjackers. Mind you, it
> doesn't
> remove them, but at least you can disable them

Thanks Emrysia for your help. I'll try it.

Joy

Well, I deleted the Yahoo toolbar from my add/remove programs and the
problem is
solved. This is really strange. I ran everyone of my spyware programs
before doing this and
they all came out clean! I don't know if I should go to Yahoo and
reinstall the toolbar or not.
Is anybody using this toolbar without problems?

I did notice though when it was redirecting me to the sign in yahoo site
that the little mail icon on the
toolbar had a black x but when I went to the website Mike suggested, the
icon was the mail sign and not
a black x. Oh well, at least I can go now to other sites without being
redirected. LOL

I want to thank those who helped me.

Joy

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:28:34 -0500, "joyplayer" <excuseme@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Just now, I tried going to google, I see the google page, then it goes
>directly to the
>sign in page at Yahoo mail. Hope I'm getting this across. LOL

Probably, this thing is latent in memory. Hit alt+ctrl+del and have a
look in the task manager for odd looking programs. Try shutting them
down and see what happens. If it keeps popping back up it means it has
a backup reinitializing it somewhere, and you have to disable them
both at the same time. Then find out where on the disk that program
is, and delete it's folder.
--

I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:28:34 -0500, "joyplayer" <excuseme@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Just now, I tried going to google, I see the google page, then it goes
>>directly to the
>>sign in page at Yahoo mail. Hope I'm getting this across. LOL
>
> Probably, this thing is latent in memory. Hit alt+ctrl+del and have a
> look in the task manager for odd looking programs. Try shutting them
> down and see what happens. If it keeps popping back up it means it has
> a backup reinitializing it somewhere, and you have to disable them
> both at the same time. Then find out where on the disk that program
> is, and delete it's folder.
> --
>

> I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and
> beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo

Thanks Guardian, I'll try it also. I sure appreciate your help too.

Joy

joyplayer wrote:
> Thanks Mike, I did manage to get to Trend Housecall last night and run a
> complete scan which came out clean.
> I have the latest Norton AV program but Housecall always has found
> stuff Norton doesn't. This morning,
> though, I tried going to my weather site, google, and a couple sims
> sites and again the yahoo sign in page popped
> up. I'll try the link you posted. Again, I sure appreciate your help.
>
> Like I said in another post, I have the Yahoo toolbar. I'm going to
> delete it, see if it might help.
>
> Joy
That would have been my first suggestion. I never use those search bar
toolbar things. They are chock full of stuff you really don't want on
your computer. Try googling for Spybot Search & Destroy and running
that. It often finds spyware and hijackers that AdAware misses.

Jeanie

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:28:34 -0500, "joyplayer" <excuseme@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Just now, I tried going to google, I see the google page, then it goes
>>directly to the
>>sign in page at Yahoo mail. Hope I'm getting this across. LOL
>

> Probably, this thing is latent in memory. Hit alt+ctrl+del and have a
> look in the task manager for odd looking programs. Try shutting them
> down and see what happens. If it keeps popping back up it means it has
> a backup reinitializing it somewhere, and you have to disable them
> both at the same time. Then find out where on the disk that program
> is, and delete it's folder.
> --
I don't know about that. Just deleting a folder instead of uninstalling
the program can cause lots of problems. Usually those damn hijacker
programs and dialers and such are like squid with tentacles in all kinds
of places. You just delete the folder and it might screw things up royally.

I'd try looking through Add and Remove programs in Control Panel, see if
there's something there you can get rid of, first.

Jeanie

> Well, I deleted the Yahoo toolbar from my add/remove programs and
> the problem is
> solved. This is really strange. I ran everyone of my spyware
> programs before doing this and
> they all came out clean! I don't know if I should go to Yahoo and
> reinstall the toolbar or not.
> Is anybody using this toolbar without problems?
>
> I did notice though when it was redirecting me to the sign in
> yahoo site that the little mail icon on the
> toolbar had a black x but when I went to the website Mike
> suggested, the icon was the mail sign and not
> a black x. Oh well, at least I can go now to other sites without
> being redirected. LOL
>
> I want to thank those who helped me.

Browser toolbars are bho's (browser helper objects) and they are
conspicuously vunerable to all sorts of bad things. I would be
/very/ careful about what bho's I install...especially any toolbars.

--
Mike
"We are the people our parents warned us about."

That's what I was thinking - well, actually I was thinking of barge poles
.... as in I wouldn't touch the Yahoo Toolbar with one.

Best wishes
maxon

> That's what I was thinking - well, actually I was thinking of barge
> poles
> ... as in I wouldn't touch the Yahoo Toolbar with one.
>
> Best wishes
> maxon

Believe me, I won't do it again.

Joy