C-Winters

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I got a decent computer from Best Buy about a year ago and just plucked a 4850 into it for my gaming needs. Now I'm looking to upgrade to an i5 proc and a new mobo. My friend says that my version of windows vista is tied to my motherboard and I'll have to buy a new copy of windows to make windows run. Is this true? Cus then it'll turn a $300 upgrade to about $500.

If you have a real OS disk, Microsoft has always let individuals upgrade. The procedure involves re-activating, promising you aren't running two copies etc etc etc. Simple.

If all you have is a recovery disk, it won't work any better than just trying to boot up your old HD on your new system. Vista is better at it than past OS's, but it is NOT recommended. Even when it appears to work at first.

An OEM copy of Vista, 32- or 64-bit, with Win7 upgrade costs $110 here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116674

C-Winters

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
geez, that isnt what i wanted to hear. i have a windows xp disk so i wont have to buy another os, but i want to keep vista, i'm used to how great it looks and i want to keep playing halo 2 vista.

what are the chances of success of just trying to boot up with my old hard disk? when you say vista is better at it, what about it makes it better?

Solely because Vista did it for me once changing mobos that used different chip sets, and there are many reports that XP normally doesn't.

You need to approach it as if there's a 10% chance it will work, and some chance it will scramble your hard drive. Furthermore, even if it works you may not get full performance from your new setup, and you might never know why. Or a future hardware upgrade or software change will fail, and you won't know why.

So, if you back up your hard drive, you can certainly try it. You will still need your old Vista key to re-activate. And you will need to be prepared to spend $110 on Vista. Or run XP.

C-Winters

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
alright, thx. I guess i'll just back up all my vids and do a clean XP install. I'm 15 and basically using my allowance money on this so i dont have much, when i can i'll just buy a new copy of windows 7 for $120

There are at least four types of Windows OS you can have:

1. Installed by OEM w/ Rescue Disk.
2. Installed by OEM w/ "Manufacturer" version (i.e Gateway) of Windows
3. OEM "DIstributor Pak"
4. Retail Copy.

In case 4, you can instal over and over. You might be able to get away with Case 3 if not too many components change.... In case 1 and 2 , you outta luck in my experience.

+1^

I'd add that I was talking about his #3, the OEM pack. Microsoft has always allowed mobo, and cpu to be changed at least once. Even if they are not done at the same exact time. They start to get stubborn when you change the mobo/cpu too often, how ever they choose to define it at that time.

They need to do this since mobos fail and an exact replacement is not always possible. Nor should one be prevented from upgrading when that happens.

C-Winters

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
what if i just changed my cpu but not my motherboard, say i bought a phenom II 940 and put it in my current mobo (AM2+ socket). will my version of windows still run?

i've read the link above and did some more research online and i've come to the conclusion that all i have to do is call microsoft, give them the product key on the side of my case, and they'll reactivate it for me. is it really that simple? or do i have to buy a new copy?

You will also want to double check that your mobo supports PhII CPU's. Even though it says it's PhII compatable, you need to double check with the manufacturer. They tend to lock down their BIOS' so the average Joe can't upgrade on their own.

C-Winters

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Cooler Master does pretty good with cases, so it should be fine, but I have a few options that I think would be better (and possibly cheaper).

$45 shipped!
Antec VSK 2000 - Has 1 x 120mm Rear Fan, the CM case you selected doesn't even come with a single fan (which costs more $ to put one in).

$50 shipped!
Antec 200 - Comes with 2 Fans!! 1 x 120mm rear and 1 x 140mm top!

$55 shipped!
Antec 300 - Comes with 2 Fans!! 1 x 120mm rear and 1 x 140mm top!

Of all of them, the best buy I think is the Antec 200, but the Antec 300 is a good case too. If your on a tight budget the Antec VSK 2000 is a very good buy at $45 shippped! At least it comes with 1 big fan!!

Antec VSK 2000/Antec 200/Antec 300 comparison link