Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Okay here's my system
Gigabye GA-M57SLI-S4
AMD Phenom 9600x4
XFX Geforce 8600GT Fatal1ty 1gb
5gb RAM
Windows 7 x64

I've tried everything I can think of, I thought I had a really nice system and should be pulling really good fps in WoW no matter what settings I run in game.
I've shut everything off in video settings, played with everything I can think of, tried all kinds of settings in 10mans I do fine with particle density all the way up, but 25s with everything all the way down I only pull maybe 5fps during entensive boss fights and such, like 12-22 fps in dalaran
I'm out of ideas, I know a guy in my guild with half the system I have runs 60fps in raids, runs fraps all that, has his vid settings all the way up..... what am I doing wrong?
I've updated drivers, updated my bios all that, checked for virus, spyware everything.... got maybe a 5fps jump outta that, I've tried everything I can possibly think of, please help

actually the original Phenoms are not that good (Phenom II's are good), though i am pretty sure wow is a pretty cpu/internet heavy game, have you tried over clocking the cpu and see if you get more frames?

d2freak82

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
alright, I'll give it a shot, little nervous about it.... I mean I've experience in bios, just not overclocking.... is there any good utilities that are good to monitor the temps and performance?

d2freak82

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
still working on this, but I'll probably be looking into new cpu and mobo, I'm a fan of gigabyte.... but any suggestions for new cpu's and mobo's?
I want to run wow with good performance, looked at the phenom II's they look pretty sweet, but I don't know if i want to run intel or amd..... gimme best suggestions please

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Just a quick thought, and not sure if it will apply to your vid card or not. I don't know if Ambient Occlusion is a feature supported in the NVidia Driver set for 8600GT's, but if it is, make sure that is turned off. I have a pretty decent system (though, I am using a 9800GX2) and the latest NVidia drivers seem to default to AO set to on, which causes the overall FPS to take a massive hit. Check the NVidia Control Panel under 3d settings, and I believe it's the first item on the list.

For that matter, check all the settings on that list to make sure they are where they need to be. (AA, Triple Buffering if using vsync, etc.) If I am not mistaken, most of those control panel driver settings will tend to override in-game settings, so even if you are telling WOW to run with whatever specifications, your driver settings might be bogging your system down.

I turned off the AO in the Control Panel (IMO that particular eyecandy added relatively little to the overall experience, at least with respect to the performance impact it takes), and damn near doubled my FPS, even in heavily populated areas like Dalaran.

Good luck, hopefully that helps without costing you for new hardware.

d2freak82

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
there any chance it could be my power supply or something with the video card? I mean a setting in bios slowing my video down, is there anyway to test that?
I'm running 550watt power supply...

I mean are you guys sure it's my cpu? Because i don't wanna order one and it not solve my issue