Graphics card for Gigabyte GA EP43 UD3L

dennisinhk

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hi, I am trying to build my own computer, and not sure of the graphics card i should get. I am building this only for mid range games (like Myst, Riven etc) nothing very high end. Also maybe watch a few dvd's. I will also be doing lots of word processing type work (I'm a schoolteacher and do a lot of lesson materials preparation).I have the GA EP43 UD3L with quad core 2.33ghz cpu fitted but not sure what kind of graphics card to put in. Budget will be around 50-70$(US) I am in Hong Kong so most cards are readily available in the myriad of computer parts stores we have here. I have heard of the "All-in-Wonder cards" but not sure what they are about. I am not a wizard with computer parts but capable enough of building it and installing all the relevant softwars etc. can anyone point me in the right direction, please. Thanks

An HD4670 is what you want in that price range. It's small, cool, power efficient and will let you play any game acceptably at low resolutions.
An 9600GSO is also good for that price range if your PSU can handle it.
If those cost too much over there an HD4650(preferably the DDR3 version) is probably your best bet.

dennisinhk

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

usually set at either 800x600 or 1024x768. but this is in the older computer with an fx5500 card installed. I guess the resolution on the new computer will depend on the card installed, (this i'm not sure of, hence this post :) ).

dennisinhk

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

The PSU is 450w (at the moment) this was in another computer, which someone donated the case, psu and other peripherals like dvd/rw, case cooling and ventilation fans etc. If a bigger PSU is required then i can get one easily enough

Resolution depends more on the monitor and you should buy a card appropriate for it's native resolution(if it's an LCD, CRT and it doesn't matter as much.) A 450w PSU is likely ok for an HD4670 and that card should be great for pretty much any game at 1024x768.

dennisinhk

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

HI, Thanks very much for the info, I think the HD4670 is the one i will go for. Now as i said before, i am no wizard with these things, but one last question - is there a big difference between Nvidia or ATI and is the Radeon(?) part important?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Radeon is ATI's "brand" of cards. It is a marketting name, thats all. A radeon 4650 will perform like a Sapphire 4650, or any other brand of the same type of card. They all get shipped the same raw parts to build their cards from. Did I just end that sentence in a preposition? /sigh

dennisinhk

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

OK, that's help lots, thanks very muchly
Dennis