Fanless cpu server build

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next month

BUDGET RANGE: As cheap as possible

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: QUIET. No fans. I know the case has some, but this portion doesn't need any. Run Coldfusion application server and MS SQL express on windows xp 32.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I will be accessing through remote desktop so I just need it to run.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: I'm willing to UNDERCLOCK so i can go fanless SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no need

MONITOR RESOLUTION: n/a

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
So I will be getting a gaming rig soon, water cooling, the whole nine yards. I need a second system for web/db design. I am currently running on a P4 2.4 with 2 gigs of ram and performance is acceptable. I am considering this build to go as quiet as possible. Machine will only be remote desktopped into, so no need for graphics, though I would prefer integrated if I need to go straight to the box for some reason. I have two power supplies I am looking at, I would prefer to get the cheaper less powerful one to save money, as long as it can run the system.

I would like 4 gigs of decent ram.

Motherboard needs to have sata raid support, either 1 or 5, preferably both. I will be running 2 or 4 drives (ide) off a raid card until prices for ssds drop. Once I get my ssds for the gaming system, the server will get 2 (raid 1) or 3 (raid 5) sata spinpoint raid edition 500 gb drives.

Will have one or two dvd-rw drives hooked up.

Case

Case will provide some airflow, so I should be ok going fanless on the power supply and cpu.

Here are the two power supplies:

FSP Group ZEN 400 400W ATX - $119.99

Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF - $199.97

konenavi

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

That case looks really loud but what do I know? Isn't this a server why does it need to be so quiet? Anyway back to silent computing. I have a Q9550 running passive on a hyper Z600R no underclock needed. Idles at 29C in the AZ heat and loads around 35C Runs fine then again its in a P180 with ldecent airflow. Even with all the fans and my GTX 260 running I can barely hear the computer and sleep with it on in my room. I would recommend Gigabyte boards as mine runs 24/7 without a problem, or if your really ambitious get an Intel Server Board and a Xeon. Its up to you really. Just make sure you have enough room, get a Z600R from coolermaster and you can run a passive CPU provided you have decent airflow.