Which PSU for the Antec 1200?

SphereX

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I recently purchased the Antec 1200 case, and I am currently trying to decide which PSU to get. I'm looking for a minimum of 650w; it needs to be modular, and have cable length to suit the 1200 case (without extensions). The initial components going into the build will not require a lot of power, but I want the option to upgrade in the future if I choose. Any suggestions would be helpful.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

SphereX

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

OK, so with this information, do you have any suggestions on any PSUs that are modular, at least 650W, and have enough cable length to suffice in the 1200 case (without extensions)?