Pulling My Hair Out!

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
OK, I just put together a brand new system but my question involves my video card. So if I'm in the wrong section i appologize.

Anyway, everything is brand new, running on Windows 7 x64.

I have an AMD Phenom II x3 with 3gb of DDR3 RAM.

The only thing that is not new is my graphics card (EVGA e-GeForce 6200).

My problem is my wife likes to play a small online game that for some reason moves slower now in the new PC than in the old one with the same graphics card.

I have downloaded the drivers for Windows 7 x64 from NVIDIA but nothing changed.
I even moved the settings for better performance, still nothing.

This is driving me crazy because a little game like this should not be maxing out my system.

There are two things that I can think of:

1. This card is PCI and it may not run properly in an X64 environment

2. The card is PCI and uses DDR2 and I have DDR3 RAM

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Everything is fine. I think this is happening becoz of windows 7. My friend moved from xp to windows 7 and his game run a bit slower than xp. I m not sure if it is because of immature driver for win7 or just the older games runs a bit slower in win7. So u have nothing to do unless until they release some good driver updates for win7.

Yeah, unfortunately it looks like you got one of the few AMD boards without an IGP. A shame really.
Redwine is likely right. The only other thing I can think of is that just the interface of win7 is already pushing your card to the limit of its capability. I haven't used win7 so maybe someone else could try and tell you how to tone things down.
You may want to consider getting a real card.

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
micro,
I have no idea. I just loaded 7 yesterday and I'm still playing with it.

I just don't want to spend the money on a new GC if W7 is the problem.

It seems to be a matter of having a slow GC installed into new technology.

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Yes thats what i m thinking. win7 interface is pretty much graphical and take a bit more processing power and ram than winxp. Ur 6200 is really outdated graphics card. Just grab a 4850 it is as low as $96 right now!! If u really cant squeeze $96 for a gfx then go for 9600gt atleast. it is only $82 right now. dont go anything less than that. If u dont have the money for any of these then wait for a price drop. 4850 is pretty much a high end card meant to game most of the games at highest settings in moderate resolution. On the other hand 9600gt is entry level card meant to game most of the games at high-med settings in low-med resolution.

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
@bluepan believe me if u upgrade ur gfx u will be more than satisfied. those cards are way powerful than ur 6200. u will have no problem running online games with those cards. just make sure ur internet speed is ok and those cards are going to run the games smoothly like a butter. I wouldnt tell u if it was a waste of money for the upgrade. its like going from a maruti-suzuki towards a toyota-celica

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I'm with you redwine.

I'm certainly not rich, but < $100 for a quality graphics card is worth it to me.

I'm leaning towards the 4850, so I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
NICE analogy!
Internet speed is not a problem, I have fiberoptic 10meg.

We are not serious gamers but I put alot of work into this build and I want to get the most out of it.

Off to New Egg to shop..........

redwine01

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
If u have the money then ofcourse ofcourse go for the 4850 excellent card for that money. Great performance even in higher resolution. This msi one is only $80 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127414&cm_re=4850-_-14-127-414-_-Product

:D enjoy. Any of the two cards i suggested (9600gso or 4850) will serve u excellent although 4850 will be a gr8 future proof for u as u said u dont game too much :D so u wont need to buy any graphics card anywhere soon if u buy the 4850 :)

Oh another thing i forgot is u need to make sure that u have a psu that can handle those cards. can u post here the make of ur psu and wattage and what amp in 12V railing?

Do you actually play games? If you've been working with a PCI 6200 I cant imagine you do. If you want to get into PC gaming the HD4850 is a good choice and the best for the money at the moment but whether it's appropriate depends on both what resolution you will be using and how good your PSU is.
If you don't game and don't plan to something like an HD4650 would be a much better choice as it's smaller, cooler and MUCH more power efficient while costing about half as much. It is even an acceptable(but not great) gaming card for low resolutions. For something similar but actually quite good for gaming at low resolutions there's the HD4670.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Not that a new GPU wouldn't be a good idea, but...It may not really help your wife much. Moving from the XP TCP/IP stack to the Vista, then to WIN 7, there was almost a complete re-write if how MS handles packets now. Most of the changes were related to security, and were needed, but in some cases the latency to certain sites went up. Some rather significantly...

A good test, if this is feasible for you, would be to do a tracert from the old system and from the new system. Look at the hop count (should be nearly identical) and the latencies of each hop.

bluepan

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
croc,

That's good info.
In regards to the game. All the files for it are on my PC, but the game itself is played online. I never gave much thought to packet handling on 7. I reinstalled the driver for 7 x64 from EVGA and the game seems to run much better. However, I will still be upgrading to a new gfx card and PSU soon......that seems like all I can do for now.

Thanks again for all the advice.