Cpu overheating, psu dieing, my options

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Ok I'm writeing this from an ipod touch, so bare with the mispellings.

So three fans in my computer stopes working right. My CPU overheated because of that.

I have detumined that it is either the psu or the motherboard, if it's the psu than every thing is good when the one I ordered for my little brothers computer comes.

But if my motherboard is failing I'll need a compleatly new computer.

Could I take the hardrive out of the old on, put it in the new computer, uninstall the old motherboard and graphics card and have it work in the new computer?

I don't realy have the money to get windows 7 own or other but by next christmass, along with a new harddrive.

If there is nothing wrong with my computer besides the psu, how big of a psu should I get it, I'll get at least 500 watt but I'm thinking higher so I can butt it when I get a new computer on my terms.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
My CPU is a hyperthreded p4. 3 ghrz I don't remember the exact model
3gb ddr2 ram
Gforce 6800
Don't remember the motherboard, I think I wrote it here some other time but searching that on the touch... It will take some time.

The psu was 450 watt and it lasted 4-5 years some where in that range

Tell me if you need more info than that

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
It was a psu recomended by someone else for the computer I'm building for my little brother

I'm almost 100% not that it will work

Reguardless if it works or not I'm going to need a second psu, I'm thinking 500 watt

Can you recomend a good and inexpensive psu?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I will probably keep the vx450w powersupply

2 of the fans aren't spinning more importantly the one for the CPU isn't spinning

Are there any last tips? If not, I'm planing to take it in to get repaired... I love that computer and I realy don't want to give it up yet, even if it is ageing.