Sign in with
Your question

Cpu overheating, psu dieing, my options

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2009 6:26:06 AM

Ok I'm writeing this from an ipod touch, so bare with the mispellings.

So three fans in my computer stopes working right. My CPU overheated because of that.

I have detumined that it is either the psu or the motherboard, if it's the psu than every thing is good when the one I ordered for my little brothers computer comes.

But if my motherboard is failing I'll need a compleatly new computer.

Could I take the hardrive out of the old on, put it in the new computer, uninstall the old motherboard and graphics card and have it work in the new computer?

I don't realy have the money to get windows 7 own or other but by next christmass, along with a new harddrive.

If there is nothing wrong with my computer besides the psu, how big of a psu should I get it, I'll get at least 500 watt but I'm thinking higher so I can butt it when I get a new computer on my terms.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2009 6:31:08 AM

Please post your config along with the PSU and watts.
m
l
November 30, 2009 8:15:18 AM

My CPU is a hyperthreded p4. 3 ghrz I don't remember the exact model
3gb ddr2 ram
Gforce 6800
Don't remember the motherboard, I think I wrote it here some other time but searching that on the touch... It will take some time.

The psu was 450 watt and it lasted 4-5 years some where in that range

Tell me if you need more info than that
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2009 11:54:06 AM

Need help, I'm looking at a decent 600 watt psu for 30$ I need to know is the motherboard standard has changed at all so I know if it will work in my computer reguardless
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2009 4:20:39 PM

What is the make and model of the power supply? I seriously doubt it is a high quality 600 watt power supply for $30.00.
m
l
November 30, 2009 6:11:53 PM

It's a deal for today, it's 100$ marked down and with a rebate

I want to know now if the powersupplys of today will work in a older motherboard that is one of my bigger concerns right now.

m
l
November 30, 2009 7:14:54 PM

I believe my motherboard has 24 power pins but only 20 are being used.

Can someone explain why?
m
l
December 1, 2009 6:54:59 AM

Can someone tell me if it will work in my computer, I need my computer and I need a little piece of mind that a newpsu will work In my motherboard
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 12:30:57 PM

List the brand and model of the power supply you want to buy.

Without that information it is impossible for us to make a valid recommendation.
m
l
December 1, 2009 2:46:50 PM

I'll comeback with that later, I just want to make sure a psu made today will plug into my p4's mother board
m
l
December 2, 2009 3:21:45 PM

It was a psu recomended by someone else for the computer I'm building for my little brother

I'm almost 100% not that it will work

Reguardless if it works or not I'm going to need a second psu, I'm thinking 500 watt

Can you recomend a good and inexpensive psu?
m
l
December 2, 2009 8:03:18 PM

I will probably keep the vx450w powersupply

2 of the fans aren't spinning more importantly the one for the CPU isn't spinning

Are there any last tips? If not, I'm planing to take it in to get repaired... I love that computer and I realy don't want to give it up yet, even if it is ageing.

m
l
!