Lisa12179

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Hi, I have a question about how to speed up the processing of a software. I don't know if it's more important the CPU, the GPU or the RAM.

The software is Photomodeler, which is devoted to generate 3D models searching the same coded targets or patterns in two or more photographs.

I need to speed up that search. What that process does is go throw each image searching the coded targets or patterns.

I have to buy a computer that speeds up that search and I don't know if it's better to buy a powerfull CPU (such as Intel i7 with 4 cores), a powerfull GPU or a lot of RAM memory.

Thank you in advance!
Lisa

Solution
If they claim that it is not multithreaded, the extra cores won't help you. An i7 is faster on single threaded tasks than a Core 2 as well though. I'd go with an i7-860 if you don't want to overclock - it has excellent turbo modes to help with single threaded tasks, and is awesome at multithreaded stuff too if you ever need that.
I'm not familiar with Photomodeler at all, but I'd think the key here would be to determine what the program is designed to use. In other words, does it actually utilize the CPU to do it's calculations, or does it prefer to use a GPU accelerator to do that. The processing units in GPU's work very differently, and theoretically can compute things faster (this is why Folding @ Home uses GPUs).

If the program does indeed use GPU capabilities, make sure you don't get something with integrated graphics (which many store bought PCs use).

I'd say get an LGA1366 i7. ith it's high memory bandwidth, the memory will take care of itself. Then, if the program is written to take advantage of CUDA, get the most powerful GTX you can afford. If the video card only going to drive the monitor, the video card that you choose will not be that important.

Lisa12179

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
The people from Photomodeler told me the following:

As the marking algorithm is not multi-threaded I would suggest a faster 2 core processor would be better than a slower quad core.

Does this confirm that I should get an "intel dual core 2" instead of an "intel i7"? Does i7 only work fine with multi-threaded software?

Thank you!
Lisa

Lisa12179

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
The price is not so important. I just need the CPU that fits best to my application, as this computer will be dedicated to that. And I don't know if what I need is intel i7 or intel core 2 duo. My main question is: being Photomodeler non multi-threaded, is it better to use 4 cores with lower clock frequency (i7) or 2 cores with higher clock frequency (core 2 duo)?
Thanks!
Lisa

For 3D applications and multitasking definitely a Quad would be good. I suggest Core i7 or i5, especially since budget isn't a problem for you. If you game, then you wont see much difference in performance than the Core 2 Duos. But for apps, definitely the i line-up of Intel is a good choice.

If they claim that it is not multithreaded, the extra cores won't help you. An i7 is faster on single threaded tasks than a Core 2 as well though. I'd go with an i7-860 if you don't want to overclock - it has excellent turbo modes to help with single threaded tasks, and is awesome at multithreaded stuff too if you ever need that.

Solution