Your question

RAID 1 setup questions?

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Windows 7
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 6, 2011 2:03:21 PM

It looks like my HD is failing ( strange noise, appllications taking forever to open with a not responding notice, a couple of applications consistently bsoding, diagotics immedietly returning a read/write failure, etc..)

My question was that I was going to replace the bad drive with 2 new drives of the same make and size and run configure them for RAID 1, reinstall windows 7. Ive never configured a RAID array, so does it only entail connecting both drives to the motherboard and installing windows 7 normally or is windows 7 installed on one drive first, or does the the drives have to be configured for RAID 1 prior to windows installation?

Thanks for any help and your time.

More about : raid setup questions

a b $ Windows 7
a c 132 G Storage
July 7, 2011 4:01:27 AM

It's good that you got 2 identical drives for RAID!

First determine which SATA ports have the RAID controller; this will be explained in the motherboard manual. Connect the 2 RAID drives to these ports. Start the computer and get into the BIOS. Setup RAID 1 (mirroring).

When the RAID 1 array is working properly, install the OS (Win 7).

All this is explained quite well in the motherboard manual. Glad you picked RAID 1 and not RAID 0 (striping).

Good luck!
m
l
a c 238 $ Windows 7
a c 392 G Storage
July 7, 2011 12:02:30 PM

You need to enable raid in the bios then on the next boot, you should see a RAID bios option with a key combination that you will need to enter the raid bios. There you can configure the raid setup (make sure the array is set to bootable).

Once that is working, then you install windows.
m
l
!