Cannot remove desktop icon xp

Solution
So you can't even select the icons at all? They act like they are part of the background?

Try this, change your wallpaper.

There is an old joke IT people do, they take a screenshot of the desktop, make it the wallpaper, and then hide the icons on the desktop. So the desktop is there, but the icons are just a picture. When you start in SafeMode, the background is not loaded, which is why you probably can't see these icons then.

hjames18

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

They are icons from programs that used to be on my computer. I have long since deleted the programs and all of the software, etc. They are Yahoo Messenger, Aim Messenger, My Dream Wedding (which was a product from my Incredimail)
Most of my active icons have inactive clone icons. My computer still works like it did, but these icons won't move. I have searched in my registry for each one of them and there are no matches or traces of them.

I have since tried my CCleaner, Spybot, AVG, and everything I can think of. When I go to Safe Mode, they are not on my desktop. Everything is normal. I cannot imagine how this happened, but surely would like to get rid of them.

You can't delete them normally? Right-click on one, go to Properties and click on General Tab, what is the location listed as? Also click on Security and make sure the account you are using has Full control of it. If you happened to install them as a user that was an admin, and you have no rights to delete them, this can happen.

hjames18

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
When I right click on one of the icons, it only gives me options to Display Properties.

The same message you get if you right click on any part of your desktop. Gives options of aligning to grid, etc. Properties does not give option you mentioned.

I have gone into the registry and searched for all of the programs with the "dead" icons, and there is nothing at all regarding these programs.

Safe Mode only shows my desktop like it should be. The "dead" icons are not shown there. I have never been so puzzled about a computer. I am old, but pretty computer savvy.

So you can't even select the icons at all? They act like they are part of the background?

Try this, change your wallpaper.

There is an old joke IT people do, they take a screenshot of the desktop, make it the wallpaper, and then hide the icons on the desktop. So the desktop is there, but the icons are just a picture. When you start in SafeMode, the background is not loaded, which is why you probably can't see these icons then.

Solution

hjames18

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
You are absolutely right. I had changed my wallpaper about 4 days ago. I chose a new wallpaper and the "dead" icons are not on it.

I can't thank you enough for your help.