First Time Builder, assembly questions

ryanm7

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hey guys, first I wanted to say thank you to all who helped me previously. I have my computer parts and am currently assmebling them.

Here are the parts:
Case - azza fantom 900 atx midtower
Gpu - EVGA nvidia gtx 275 ftw edition
dvd/cd - LG 22x litescribe
Cpu - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
Mobo - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Hdd - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Psu - Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V
Ram - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Wi adapter - TP-LINK TL-WN821N USB 2.0 Wireless N Adapter

My questions:
The evga nvidia graphics card came with an spdif cable (2-pins), and I do want to run the sound onto and through my hdmi cable, however, when looking over my mobo, I only see spdif out with 4-pins.. what should I do? I do not see anywhere else on the mobo where it could go.

Also, the graphics card came with 2 pci power connectors that each split into two mole dongles. However, each pci connector interface has an empty slot in the first row, middle slot. Looking at the mole dongles on the other end, there are only 3 pins, not the 4 I was expecting. So, should I use these cords provided with the graphics card and just hook the 4 total 3-pin mole dongles to 4-pin receving mole dongles going to the power supply? Or can I just use 2 pci power connectors that came with my psu to power the graphics card?

On the back of my hard drive, what is the 8-pin connection for?

Once all of this is take care of, and everything is assembled, I'll connect the hdmi to my plasma, and connect my mouse + keyboard. Can I use my wireless mouse and wireless keyboard in this initial start up? Or must it be a wired verison? (If it must be wired, can it be usb?)

Once that is taken care of, do I load windows vista prem 64 first or the cd included with the mother board?

Thanks! Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated! Try not to laugh at some of these questions; I'm a first-timer haha

Solution
Don't use the power adapters that came with the GPU. Just use PCI-E connectors directly plugged into the PSU.

The eight pins on the back of the HD are jumpers used to slow the drive down to SATA 1.5 for older systems. Just leave them alone.

Your wireless mouse and keyboard MAY work with basic functionality with no drivers installed. You'll have to try it. You're safer using a wired connection. It can be USB as long as USB keyboard/mouse support is turned on in the BIOS.

You have to install Windows before you can use the driver CD that came with your motherboard.
Don't use the power adapters that came with the GPU. Just use PCI-E connectors directly plugged into the PSU.

The eight pins on the back of the HD are jumpers used to slow the drive down to SATA 1.5 for older systems. Just leave them alone.

Your wireless mouse and keyboard MAY work with basic functionality with no drivers installed. You'll have to try it. You're safer using a wired connection. It can be USB as long as USB keyboard/mouse support is turned on in the BIOS.

You have to install Windows before you can use the driver CD that came with your motherboard.

Solution
"The evga nvidia graphics card came with an spdif cable (2-pins), and I do want to run the sound onto and through my hdmi cable, however, when looking over my mobo, I only see spdif out with 4-pins.. what should I do? I do not see anywhere else on the mobo where it could go."

Check the PCB layout in your motherboard manual very carefully. There should be a 2 pin header somewhere around the GPU heatsink side of the first PCI-e X16 socket.

I run Gigabyte motherboards and the header is shown in all the manuals.

Software:
Load the OS first, then the chip drivers from the motherboard disk. Load the graphics drivers next, then any other device drivers that you need. Then install firewall and antivirus software before you go online the first time.

ryanm7

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Ty for the replies so far; they're a great help. I've been scouring that mobo, but no luck. The spdif out it has on it is specifically for asus graphics cards it says. So I'll have to keep checking on this.

Also, to clarify things for me, once I have the wired mouse + keyboard attached and plasma tv, and turn on the computer, i have to hold delete and set up the bios? Anything I specifically have to do? Then just insert the os, then mobo stuff, then graphics stuff, then other stuff? Thanks again!