ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I wanted to know how to (because i heard people are doing this already) have two cards like a gtx 280 and a 9800gt
and run the 9800 as a physx card and the 280 and a graphics card ?

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

I think (ie. never tried it) you go into the NVidia control panel, disable the Physx on the 280 and change some setting in the Multi GPU options panel to allocate the 9800 for Physx only. No SLI bridge is needed. I pretty sure you don't need any outside software for the operation, and I even heard on using an ATI card with an NVidia slave to cheat into Physix on cross fire. It has been awhile since I read the article.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Yes, you can manually set just one card to do PhysX, though the 9800 is a bit overkill. It'll give the same PhysX performance that a 95/9400 would.

And yes, I have my ATI 4870 running with an 8800GT doing PhysX. Not all the time, as the 4870 gets choked out by it. :(

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
wait so what would you two say if i get the 5870 and run the 280 as physx is that possible ? and if it is how ?!?!?! andis it overkill lol

ps does that mean i can play dx11 games when they come out because the 5870 supports dx11 ?

You can still run ATi GPU + nV PPU on old drivers, which means DX11 and PhysX, but with the restrictions nV has put on the drivers, you wouldn't be able to use PhysX in any future title requiring the latest nV PhysX drivers.

The other thing though is it's only under XP (but no Dx10-11) and Win7 since Vista doesn't allow the drivers to work simultaneously. So dual booting may be an option for you. It's a hassle though, and to many too much of a hassle to care about PhysX.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
ill just get the 300 searise when it comes out and run the 280 as a physx that would work right ?

btw any idea when the 300 comes out and what to expect of it ?

The rumors are all over the place on the 380 right now. The card in the super optimistic rumors looks like a beast that will be out in November. The real card though? Only NVidia knows (we hope).

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

well just to give you an understanding of what i have here i this is my score in vantage.

VantageScore13555.jpg

any1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Actually, you can do it again with Radeon by using a patch

"Patch Re-enables PhysX When ATI Card is Present"

http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patch-re-enables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

The ideal combination in my opinion would be an HD5850 card + 8800GT as PhysX

in your case you can just use your GTX280 as PhysX and buy the newly released ATI card or wait for "Fermi" as they call it :p , it'll then do PhysX fine on one card

or you can wait for HD5870x2 and buy it for MAXIMUM-HARDCORED-GAMER-ON-EARTH

or even better wait ( last time I say wait, promise :pt1cable: ) for "Hydra chip" only if you want a new mobo, that'll mix GeForce-GeForce, GeForce-Radeon or Radeon-Radeon (too good to be true I know) http://event.msi.com/mb/bigbang/

anyway, good luck choosing your gaming route

At first I thought, 'wow, they are reasonable'. Then i saw it was someone in the community that did it. kudos to the person that fixed it, but I'm not sure I'd want to rely on someone hacking the drivers for my PhysX calcs. If they had officially done it, I might have gone out and gotten one of their cards for fun. But if it is still in this sort of limbo, I think not. If this stays effective though...

TRENDING THREADS