Sign in with
Your question

Computer not working!

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2009 5:49:41 AM

Alright guys, I moved to a new house and when my household goods arrived after hooking everything up the computer doesn't work! Let me explain more indepth.

I now live in Germany through the Army. My household goods were in storage for 2 months. Once I arrived here my house hold goods were shipped to me. After receiving, I hooked up my computer all wires and stuff. One problem surfaced, no hdmi to dvi adapter. So I went to the store and purchased a Hama Video DVI-HDMI Adapter. Hooked it up to my Sappire Radeon 4850 512MB video card and nothing! So I thought maybe the monitor was damaged while moving, so I hooked up my notebook to the monitor via HDMI cable and it works. So the display and the cable do work. Inside the tower, the video card's fans work. All the fans are spinning. But the usb slots do not work. I tried all of them, back side and front.

Cliff notes:

-Moved computer now doesn't work. Bought a DVI to HDMI adapter (other lost in transition?)
-The computer itself will come on (lights, fans, etc) , although it says No signal display or No display.
-The video card fan does work (reseated the card hoping it would fix the problem)
-No USB devices work
-HDMI cable, and monitor do work (hooked up notebook to monitor via HDMI cable)

What do I do from here? I've looked through the tower, reseated the card as well, unplugged the cables / replugged back in, nothing as of yet.

PLEASE HELP !

More about : computer working

a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2009 6:12:38 PM

Quick swag at the problem - lets eliminate a USB lockup.

Remove all *USB* plugs and the keyboard & mouse (whether or not USB), power up & let it go as far as it will. Power down, re-install keyboard and mouse. If it boots, plug in USB devices one at a time.

Low likelihood, but easy to do.

Does the computer continue with the boot, even though you cannot see video (boot sounds, windows sartup jingle, etc)? If so, can you borrow an LCD monitor to eliminate a bad DVI/HDMI adapter?

Remove and at least dry wipe the contacts on all boards (memory, vid card, etc.) Re-insert.

Two months in storage might have drained your CMOS battery. If the mobo is on the older side, try replacing the battery.
Related resources
September 11, 2009 5:56:06 AM

Computer was built almost a year ago (November). P5Q Pro board, E7300 cpu, HD4850 vid card, 4gb crucial ram...

I'll hook up the speakers to see if I hear the Windows Jingle or not.

On the contacts you mean just reseat whichever component correct? I thought you were referring to cleaning with alcohol or something similar. I don't where my thermal compound is, so reseating the cpu will not happen. I'll do the ram, video card, etc. What else is their to do?

CMOS battery maybe. It's just a watch battery correct? If so does it matter what kind, model & manufacturer, etc that I purchase?

Thanks for the help and reply guys.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 7:13:24 AM

Contacts: Yeah, just the memory, vid card, and any other card you might have in a slot. Not the cpu or heatsink.

CMOS battery: Yeah, its like a watch battery. Dunno what mobo or PC you have . . . some are soldered to the board . . . don't screw with that . . . some are in a socket, metal clip over top. Pull the plug on the PC, pull the battery out, get the battery's number, put it back 15 minutes later. While the battery and power cord are pulled out, press the power on button a few times. If the battery isn't dead, this procedure will also clear CMOS, another potential cause of the problem.

So the USB clearing thing didn't fix it, eh?
September 11, 2009 8:20:40 AM

*Update*

I took the ram, video card, and cable's loose and started one by one emplacing it back in, and no beep sounds at all. Although, if I had the volume turned down or even muted it wouldn't make a sound at all right?

I took out the CMOS battery, and put it back in as well, nothing happened with that.

I tried the USB lockup thing. One at a time, and nothing happened.

I'll try to find an external display to use. The video card only has DVI port on back. So finding a computer, and or a dvi cable may be hard. Also has a S-video output on the back as well. So who knows.

Getting frustrated. What could be the possibility of this? It was working two months ago, now it doesn't! Could the adapter that I bought not work with the video card's technology or something?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 8:41:15 AM

If windows booted, you would have heard something through regular speakers. So windows didn't boot. That's a problem regardless of the adapter etc. If we boot and still get no video, then look to the adapter etc..

You cannot hear BIOS beeps (which occur before windows even begins to load) without a speaker attached to pins on the mobo. Yours might not have such a speaker, might not even have the pins for one. Dunno.

If you can borrow a psu from someone, or try your psu on some else's system, that would be good. If we're forced to guess - with no USB, no boot, no BIOS video at all . . . odds are its a psu problem.
September 12, 2009 7:20:59 AM

I'll list all the components, and maybe you know if (blank) has normal problems, etc.

MB: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Intel e7300
RAM: Mushkin 4GB Dual channel kit
Vid Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
PSU: Antec NeoPower 500w
Case: Antec 300

This was my first computer that I have built. So I'm really unsure if the mobo has internal speakers. I'll look it up and reply back with an update.

No one that I know of around here has an extra PSU, or a built computer so that I could use/borrow one.

So even if the PSU is bad it could still have enough juice to power the fans off the mobo and video card?

Wouldn't the monitor still recognize a video card connected to it regardless of a bad psu hypothetically? When the monitor is on with no cables connected it says nothing. But as soon as the cable is plugged in, and the comptuer is turned on then it says No signal.

a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2009 8:10:27 AM

PSUs have several failure modes, and represent the most frequently replaced hardware by people who come here for help with knotty problems. If the damn things would just fail totally, life would be a lot easier. Yes, a psu could power fans . . . scan the forums and see how many report that, and how often the psu needs to be replaced.

Monitors vary. I don't know what yours does with no cable attached, a cable attached to monitor and vid card but all PC power off, etc.
September 12, 2009 1:29:42 PM

I'm going to ask around and see if anyone has a psu tester. Then I'll make the decision on which to purchase. So most likely the psu is the problem, and not the video card or mobo.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2009 5:54:01 PM

A psu tester will test whether voltage is present, and whether that voltage is correct - but only when it is not under load.

IOW, it cannot detect all the failure modes for a psu.

Hopefully, if yours is bad, it will show up bad on the tester. But sadly, that's often not the case.
September 12, 2009 7:18:16 PM

So I take it, it's basically shoot and miss? With the symptoms that are showing it sounds like the PSU is likely the problem. If I upload some clear pictures can you see if all the wires are connected correctly, or if something looks out of place some how? That shouldn't be a problem, because I'm 99% sure that everything is hooked up right. Hopefully...
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2009 8:37:36 PM

Yeah, shoot and miss until you chase away all but your target - then you drop a boulder on him lol.

Seriously, I'll look at anything you post however unlikely the result.

I did have another thought - is it possible some screw worked loose in transit shorting something out?

When a new build doesn't boot, we take it out of the case and rebuild it on a non-conductive surface. That eliminates case shorts, like if someone forgot to put in the standoffs, or somehow shorted something by putting washers on the mobo mounting screws.
September 13, 2009 7:06:57 AM

That's worth a look. What kind of surface so as not to draw electrical/static?
-Would cardboard work?

I'll have a go at this and hopefully my next post will be successful.

a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2009 3:34:25 PM

Yes, cardboard/posterboard/boxcardboard all would be fine.
!