Gaming rig - need feedback fast so I can change order if needed

bholmes2000

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I just placed an order for the following computer ($2000 CAD) but it's not too late to change something if I made a horrible choice. Really two areas worry me (video card and monitor). The rest I am comfortable with and almost everything was on sale. I just need opinions on those two matters more than anything (Monitor and video card):

CPU - Intel Core i5 750
MB - Gigabyte P55-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55
Case - Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower Black EATX Case
HD - Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB
Ram - 2x G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH Ripjaws PC3-16000 4GB 2X2GB (8gb total)
PSU - Corsair Professional HX850W 850W ATX

Monitor- Philips Brilliance 240PW9EB 24IN IPS

The monitor scares me a bit since there are few reviews on it and some questions about quality. There wasn't much I like at 24 inches for gaming and it came down to this and the Acer G24 (another monitor that has few reviews). I really like the glossy screen of the Acer G24 in the store but not so sure the glare won't bother me at home (I still use a CRT at home since I haven't been a fan of LCDs to date).
I can get the Acer G24 locally for the same price. The Phillips is being sent across country so if I hate it I am kind of out of luck. Would you risk it considering this is an IPS panel?

Video Cards - 2x ASUS Radeon 4870 Dk 750MHZ 1GB 3.6GHZ

Decided to go with the 4870s crossfired versus a 4890. It cost $80 more to have both for the increase in performance I get. Some are suggesting I go with the 4890 and buy a second later when the price drops but it will be hard to justify that later when even newer cards are out and I'm probably better off just buying a whole new card! At least that's my theory. This way I get the full goodness of the two cards to enjoy for now and can upgrade later anyway.

The sound card, mouse etc. are all being pulled from my current computer so don't worry about those.

So please let me know your opinions on my monitor dilemma (remember this is a gaming rig primarily though I do use it for other things) and if my reasoning is sound for the vid cards (or at least good enough that it's not worth changing).

Thanks in advance!

Nothing horrible there. Everything is good brands.

Tomorrow is the press conference ATI should be releasing the 5000 series GPU at, and Nvidia of course scheduled on on the same day to keep from loosing all the attention. Might be worth delaying a day to two to see what shakes out.

^ Well maybe instead of 2x HD 4870s, you can get 2x HD 4850s...they are more than suffice for that resolution and would cost you less, and are enough to hold on till the next gen cards are widely available...

And as for the monitor, check if it has a low response time as IPS panels have higher response time than TN panels...For FPS and racing games, a lower response time monitor is more favourable than the one that produces better colors...
And if you go with 2x HD4850s, then with the money saved, you can consider the Dell Ultrasharp...

bholmes2000

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I would have waited 2-3 weeks. Prices will fall because AMD will price drop probably next week.

Normally I would have but I saved a ton of money on sales. The monitor was $150 off, there was a shipping deal across the country for $8.00 (this thing is almost 100 lbs.) etc. Even if it dropped a bit it wouldn't have equaled the other savings.

bholmes2000

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Hmm that is worth considering actually.... Still wouldn't have equaled the difference on the Dell here but pretty damn close.