I7 1156 or 1366?

G

What are the advantages of getting i7 1366 processor? My friend was telling me not to get the i7 1156 because the i7 1366 is better. I plan on using my computer for gaming. I also heard that the i7 1366 uses triple channel RAM instead of dual channel. I plan on getting 4 sticks of memory 2GB each to total 8GB. Does this mean I need a motherboard that will allow me to get more RAM so I can triple channel?

Thanks!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
How seriously do you game?

The big difference between socket 1156 and socket 1366 when gaming is the PCI-E lanes when you're using multiple graphics cards. Socket 1156 will run its two PCI-E 16x slots at 8x each. How socket 1366 splits its lanes depends on the motherboard, but more often than not you'll get a pair of full 16x for 2 cards (changes to 16x 8x 8x usually for 3).

The point being socket 1366 is better suited long-term for multiple graphics cards. Will socket 1156 only doing a pair of 8x be a problem? No, not for a bit, but it is a limitation to be aware of now if you're planning on sticking with the system for a while.

Yes, socket 1366 uses triple channel so you'll want multiples of 3 up to a maximum (with a few exceptions) of 24GB. Triple-channel gives more memory bandwidth that you can shake a stick at, so that's one less bottleneck to worry about.

At the end of the day, if you're a hardcore gamer, or want the capacity to add multiple graphics cards as cheaper upgrades when the next generation stuff comes out, then go 1366. If you're content to run a pair of Radeon 5870s until your rig is outdated enough to warrant a whole new system, then you can save a little cash and go 1156.

It all comes down to how much graphics power you want, and what you can afford.

G

I plan on just getting one graphics card (GeForce GTX 275). Will this have good visual quality when playing games like Modern Warfare 2? I'm not one that plays games all the time, but I want a system that will have good graphics, but not over do it. If I am just getting one graphics card do you think its worth it to stick with the 1156? I plan on sticking with this system for at least 5 years, maybe upgrading the graphics card down the line.

This was the graphics card that I am planning on purchasing. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
If you're looking at a 5-year span I'd say get a Radeon 5870 now and put another one in when they get cheaper. You'll be fine with a 1156 board for this.

Yes, the 5870 is more expensive now, but it's light years ahead of the GTX 275. What resolution are you playing at?

G

I was actually looking at that video card. Sadly everywhere I look the Radeon 5870 is out of stock, same with the 5850. Im thinking about getting the 5850 because it is $100 less... the only problem is that its out of stock ha ha.
I would like to play on a high resolution for this game.

I plan on just getting one graphics card (GeForce GTX 275). Will this have good visual quality when playing games like Modern Warfare 2? I'm not one that plays games all the time, but I want a system that will have good graphics, but not over do it. If I am just getting one graphics card do you think its worth it to stick with the 1156? I plan on sticking with this system for at least 5 years, maybe upgrading the graphics card down the line.

This was the graphics card that I am planning on purchasing. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

I usually recommend 4 years between builds, with a GFX and possibly CPU upgrade half way thru at 2 years. If this is the route you are taking DX10/11 issues should be irrelevant until, my guess, after XMas 2011. The 260 better competes with the 4870 and 5770 than the 275 does w/ its competition. As for that 2 year upgrade option ..... ya have the option with an 1366 ....not so much with the 1156

Of course nVidia does give you PhysX if that kinda thing floats ya boat .... see this if ya not sure:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-11.html

But if not interested in PhysX and keeping the card more than 2 years, I'd go 5770.

If thinking CU upgrade within 2 years, Id say go 1366.