Phenom ii x4 920

G

Hello,
I'm building a computer for a friend to attempt to replicate my own i5 750 system, minus a couple hundered dollars in the budget. With an identical video card, and pc8500 vs pc10600, so only negligible differences aside from processor. Does anyone know if the 2.8ghz amd phenom ii x4 920 can be upgraded to a faster processor of the same socket type (take out and replace processor, done deal, same fan, etc.). If so, what processors (eg. 3.0, or black edition, etc.). I know for some applications, this cpu's benchmarks actually exceed the i5 in certain tasks, but for overall computing power...gaming...could I start a quick discussion from people that know more than I? Please compare the two in terms I could just pass on or have him refer to this forum. People like to feel confident about their purchases. Given a 300 dollar difference and only small differences, would you go phenom ii? (There would also be a free RAM slot with 6gb already installed). Gaming would probably be the focus, and I'm guessing for that instance the phenom ii would be just as good as my i5. Comments...?