2 msi twin frozrII gtx 560 ti(factory oc-ed) in sli
latest drivers
psu corsair 750tx
i5 2500k oc-ed to 4 GHz
4 GB ram
mobo: asrock p67 extreme 4
air cooled
oc util: msi afterburner 2.1.x

up until recently, I have been able to oc the graphics cards with no problem, when BF3 released, I was able to pull the voltage as much as afterburner let me and it ran stable for hours of gameplay.

But now, the card wont let me push the voltage or any of the clock settings anymore than the default, else it would cause the game to hang (usually a black screen or white screen depending on the game, system still responsive) and (depending on the game) at times a complete system freeze with some low buzzing sound before it eventually restarts itself or i manually restart.

And heres what stumps me, after the first time the above problem has occurred, afterburner now resets the default voltage to 1012 mV even though the cards came stock at 975 mV.

the temps are well under significant thresholds during these problems.

Thanks for reading, any input is much appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2011 6:38:11 PM

Many 560 Ti's that were OCd, even factory OCd, had problems with BF3 crashing/freezing. Not sure if it's fixed yet, but if you can run at default settings without crashing then that's likely the problem.
m
l
November 25, 2011 6:52:40 PM

how would not crashing in bf3 be the problem?
it never crashed when I was playing bf3 (havent touched that game for several weeks though),
the problem, as accurately as I can pin point, occurred as I was trying to get modest oc for saints row recently
which raised the default voltage issue: after the first hang up, it completely changed the default voltage (every time I reset in afterburner, the voltage would go back to 1012 mv instead of the stock 975) and now I cant get any oc-ing done without games crashing in the first few minutes of gameplay.

Am I looking at bricks here? :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2011 7:01:32 PM

Use Nvidia Inspector to see if it shows the same voltage as MSI AB. It's strange why the default GPU bios was changed from 975 to 1012mv default settings.
m
l
November 25, 2011 8:21:19 PM

yea inspector is also showing 1012 as default voltage under load, i disabled sli and the second card is staying at a constant 950mV o.O
m
l
November 25, 2011 9:26:41 PM

hmmm even in sli, the voltages dont agree between the cards, if im oc-ing them, shouldnt the changes reflect across both cards? one card resets to 975 while one resets to 1012...weird
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2011 9:47:52 PM

Different cards can come at different stock voltages. My 580 for example has a stock voltage of like 1.067v but I've seen others with the same card that have 1.0v, 1.025, etc.
m
l
November 25, 2011 10:34:22 PM

in my case, both cards came from the same manufacturer and same model. thats only when its not under load right? whatever voltage we set for it in afterburner on one(master) card, both should reach that voltage when they're both under load. but right now, even a 1mV change causes all my benchmarks/games to crash and/or hang.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 25, 2011 11:17:37 PM

Even the exact same cards from the exact same manufacturer can have different stock voltages. If you want them to have the same voltage then bring the lower one up to the higher one. An increase in voltage shouldn't make you more unstable.
m
l
!