Solved

Please evaluate my system

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forums and various online and magazine articles about the current technology because I didn't have enough information even to ask a question, but now I feel I have a good grasp of what technology is doing and where it's going. Before I break down and build a system from scratch I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get more mileage out of my current system. I have read the sticky articles about upgrade parts and which parts to choose for a new build, but again I am hoping to wait a little while longer before starting over. I built my current system in 2007 and don't have too much trouble running current games or rendering video but I think I am hardware limited to a resolution of 1440x900 @ 75Hz due to my monitor so my GPU is probaby not taxed too much. The MOBO has PCIe ver 1.0 x16 though and it is not a SLi board as I have only one PCIe slot. I was thinking of buying a

SAPPHIRE 100277HDMI Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail from Newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102853

I thought this would give me higher fps and maybe some aa/af ability as well.

System:

CPU: AMD 64 X2 +5600 2.9 GHz
MOBO: Asus M2N nForce 420 MCP Chipset
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB
Sound: Diamond Xtreme 5.1 Soundcard
RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 PC-800
HDD: WD 250GB 7200 rpm
ODD: Samsung CD/DVD-ROM/RW
PSU: Antec EA 430w
Monitor: Hanns G JW199D 19" widescreen LCD DVI only
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about please evaluate system
  1. Sapphires web site says that 4850 needs one 6pin PCIE power cable. Does that PSU have any?

If not you may need adapters or a newer PSU.
  2. Best answer
    The 4770 and 4850 perform similarly, a 4850 is slightly stronger but also needs a bit more power, your power supply will handle either easily and both will handle your resolution just fine, you wont be able to set AA/AF high with them but they will play with all of the detail settings on high easily.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product