Frag Mortuus

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hey Guys,

Im starting to plan my new build and I am trying to get the best value for my money. Im trying to decide whether to go with an Intel 1366 or AMD AM3 build. I know that Intel is going to out perform the AMD in every aspect, but that performance comes and a hefty price especially compared to AMD.

Im building this system as a gaming system and just regular everyday use. I dont edit video or anything substantial like that. My monitor resolution is 1680x1050.

I guess my main question is: will the AMD Phenom II X4 955 paired with a good graphics card be able to handle most (all?) games on high at that high of a resolution?

Also, I like to think Im an enthusiast, I know what all new tech is coming and could tell you about it, but I cant tell you about raw peformance. I dont really OC much, mainly because I dont know how so I was wondering if an expensive MoBo is going to be worth the extra money. Will a better MoBo give me better gaming performance or is the higher end boards just better for OCing?

Thats all i can think of now, thanks!!!!!!!!

Solution
A Phenom II 955 paired with a good graphics card can run all games at 1680X1050, which is not really considered a "high" resolution. "Good" motherboards generally do not give much better performace; they generally provide better OCing capabilities, more features, often better reliability, and more expandability.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
A Phenom II 955 paired with a good graphics card can run all games at 1680X1050, which is not really considered a "high" resolution. "Good" motherboards generally do not give much better performace; they generally provide better OCing capabilities, more features, often better reliability, and more expandability.

Solution

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
AMD is the way to go for more of a budget build.

I haven't played any games yet w\ my newest AMD Athlon II 620 yet...but as far as bang per buck... it seems really good, especially since I bought @ 100 and i've seeen them for $75 new, which is excllent for a quad core.

Mine is OC'd to 3ghz and idles at 16-17c with stock cooling. ( yes, i'm serious. )

You must live in Alaska or just never use a heater because if you live at room temperature (normally 25c) then it can't be lower than that.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I plan on getting the 955, and from what I have seen, its almost just as good as a i7 920, or at the same performace as it. I wouldn't suggest getting the 965 if you were thinking about it anyways just because its .2ghz more and cause more when you can over clock it to, and farther than that. Plus the 965 uses more energy I think.

Pair a 955 with a 5870 (which is what i have, and i love it) and it will ripe games apart, but if you don't want to spend that much money for the 5870, go for the 5850, I heard its a very nice card, and maybe later even crossfire 2 5850's!

For motherboards, I can't really help you there. Also I wouldn't really suggest getting more than 4gb. Cause 4 is fine for anything.

At the moment I'm running a Phenom II x4 920 Overclock to 3.4ghz (stock at 2.8ghz) with a stock fan.

If you also want to start over clock, or when you learn how to overclock, make sure to get a food heatsink/fan. I suggest the H50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010
Its very easy to put together, and its watercooling! Overclocks great, and theirs tons of reviews on it if you want to read more about that.

(I also favor AMD/ATI, over nvidia/intel... lol)

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
well in the lower range of both intel and amd's oferings, they are all around the same value for the money, it depends on how much you are willing to spend... over 500-600$ your best choise is intel, but lower then that i chose amd any way at the moment...
i have a 955 and a 4870 and i run modern warfare 2 maxed out at 1024*768. resolutions above that you shouldnt have any problem as long as you have a graphics card that can handle it... (although a 5970 might get a little bottlenecked with the 965/955)

higher end Motherboards are usually full of cool feautures for overclocking, but its not just that... a lot of high end motherboards also have a crap load of other things like more connectivity, better quality components, etc... the overclock part is just kind of a bonus if your into it... at i have no problem recomending anything that comes from gigabyte or asus, any other and i'm not familiar with them. if you can try to get a decent board... you'll never regret it... =)
(and no chances are you wont get MUCH more gaming performance out of a more expensive motherboard just because its more expensive... it has just to many variables to just be price... it will depend on the motherboard your looking at)