Startup Logos

G

Does anyone know the file names for the start up logos in windows 2000 and ME?

Skynet

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe the file is called winnt256.bmp in the c:\winnt folder. never tried to change it though, just make a bitmap of the same size and specs as the original and it should work fine.

G

Hi jkrud,

'Me' should be like Win98, i.e. create a 256colour bitmap file 320x400dpi and save it as logo.sys in the root directory of your C:

You might want to create the file as a 320x240dpi file as this maintain the correct aspect ratio and enlarge it before saving.

Regards

Simon

G

Greetings
Well... This ones in the registry(for Win2k) under;

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
"Wallpaper"="ThePicYouWant.bmp"

any .bmp sized at your current screen resolution settings eg. 1024x768 etc. will work.
Just put it in the WinNT folder & the blue screen that shows up during startup & shutdown will now be the Pic.

Have Fun
Stoic Joker

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have had no luck with thepicyouwant.bmp and the reg hack, also there is no winnt256.bmp on my pc period. Nor any other pc that I have clean installed with. Here is a link to a site that explains exactly what to do. Please do not do this if you are not firmiliar with regediting and resource hacking etc. This involves using a program to crack open your ntoskrnl.exe and then turning off windows file protection for a short period of time, but you can turn it back off, this is contrary to what the article says. Anyhow here is the direct link...
<A HREF="http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00021.asp" target="_new">http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00021.asp</A>

-=-Sean-=-
I hate picking fights... but it's so fun :smile:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, it's not a bmp. That's one of the first things I do a search and delete for when I load my comp. Most likely it's a .dll or some other foolish extension so that it's protected and can't be deleted. You'll have to rummage around the net for this one.....

seanmcne

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check out that site that I hyperlinked to it explains the whole deal, it is a part of the ntoskrnl.exe resources.

-=-Sean-=-
I hate picking fights... but it's so fun :smile: