Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB dead - need to recover data!

Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2011 9:39:13 AM

I have a kingston USB drive which contained some VERY important data. It is dead now. Its light does not blink, and it does not get detected in Windows. It looks like this:

Can I replace the big large chip on another USB with the chip of this USB? Will it work or is there any other method to get it working? The data is extremely important for me. Thanks!

More about : usb dead recover data

July 7, 2011 12:08:15 PM

no it is pretty much a dead end once the Flash memory dies. I wouldnt have thought that taking it off and mounting it on another USB stick would help, all Flash drives have limited read writes so it probably has just expired.
m
l
July 7, 2011 1:12:13 PM

It was just an year old and it was working fine a few days before. I think it is dead for some other reason. But the reason is not important. The important thing is the data thats in it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 7, 2011 1:21:53 PM

depends on what failed in the flash drive, controller or the Chip. If it was the controller there are a few programs that you can google that might allow you to access the data but if it was the chip then your Data is lost unless with the only exception of using Data Forensics which would very expensive.
July 7, 2011 1:34:14 PM

The USB isnt detected in Windows. Its light does not blink too so will any software be able to do anything?
m
l
July 13, 2011 2:48:50 PM

KenpachiZ said:
I have a kingston USB drive which contained some VERY important data. It is dead now. Its light does not blink, and it does not get detected in Windows. It looks like this:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2niy6uq.jpg

Can I replace the big large chip on another USB with the chip of this USB? Will it work or is there any other method to get it working? The data is extremely important for me. Thanks!

You have to do this:

Tricks of the windows operating system

Restoring a USB stick

How to recover corrupted data, if You loose your USB stick.

for example if they disappeared after a physical extraction (although it should proceed to extraction software)?

Recover corrupted data from a USB stick

Follow the steps:

* plug the key on the computer;
* go to the backup module via the menu Utilities / Backup / Restore;

Menu Utilities / Backup / Restore

* In the window that appears, click the Restore button;
* when the next window appears, select the key player in the field target;

Restoring data

* click the Restore button. If you plugged the key after opening the backup module, it will not appear in the dropdown menu;
* In the window that appears, click Yes;
* select the backup to restore and click OK;

Restoring Data

* a message is displayed. If the backup selection is correct click Yes;
* To restore the backup, click the Yes button. A data decompression is then performed.

In the end backup message is displayed (see screenshot below).

Click the OK button.

Message at the end of backup data from your USB drive. Credits DR.

reply source: here

good luck
m
l
July 23, 2011 9:23:24 AM

Best answer selected by KenpachiZ.
m
l
January 9, 2013 6:32:54 AM

According to my experience, you could change another USB and try a USB drive data recovery freeware that has helped me recover many of my important data from my corrupted WD external hard drive. The result of it proves that it is worth trying. Go try it!
Tips for you:
1. Never save anything new on this drive in case of the original data overwritten by the new data, which could erase your important data permanently.
2. Store the recovered data on a different drive in case of recovery failure.
3. Go buy a new drive to replace it.
4. Never back up your data on only one drive.
m
l
August 1, 2013 11:07:54 PM

Try Vibosoft card data recovery software, I used it to recover my lost photos.

I have a slightly different problem. when I was at a camp with some friends, and we needed a couple a pictures from the camera, a friend took the SD card out of the camera while it was on (we didnt have the camera-computer cord) and the images were visible on the computer then.but now whenever i try to access the card (on computer, camera etc) i get a message asking me to format it. luckily i havnt as i would have lost a lot of pictures. but i dont know which programs to try, because i dont want the computer damaged or hacked, and perfer not to send the card overseas.
m
l
!